Chapter 20

I might start updating chapters biweekly cos sometimes I end up rushing to get them out and it would just be a lot easier for me. I might still update weekly though depending on if I have the chapter done in time.

Anyways enjoy

---

"Katsuki!" (M/N) yelled. He shook Katsuki harder, even resorted to slapping his face, but it was no use. His heart had failed. "Katsuki!"

Denki propped Ultear against a tree and pushed (M/N) out of the way. "Let me." His fingers touched points at Katsuki's neck, ran over the bones in his ribs and spine. Then he pinched Katsuki's nostrils shut.

"No!" (M/N) yelled, hurling himself at Denki, convinced that he was intending to make sure Katsuki was dead, to keep any hope of life from returning to him. Denki's hand came up and hit (M/N) so hard, so squarely in the chest that he went flying back into a nearby tree trunk.

(M/N) was stunned for a moment, by the pain, trying to regain his wind, as he saw Denki close off Katsuki's nose again. From where (M/N) was sitting, he pulled an arrow, whipped the notch into place, and was about to let it fly when he was stopped by Denki giving Katsuki mouth to mouth. And that's when he realised that Denki was blowing air into Katsuki's lungs. He could actually see Katsuki's chest rising and falling. Then Denki began to pump the spot over his heart with the heels of his hands. Now that (M/N) had gotten over his shock, he realised what Denki was trying to do.

Once in a blue moon, he'd seen his mother try something similar, but not often. If a person's heart failed in District 12, it was unlikely the family could get them to his mother in time, anyway. So her usual patients were burned or wounded or ill. Or starving, of course.

But Denki's world was different. Whatever he was doing, he had done it before. There was a very set rhythm and method. And (M/N) found the arrow tip sinking to the ground as he leaned in to watch, desperately, for some sign of success. Agonising minutes dragged past as his hopes diminished. Around the time that he was deciding it was too late, that Katsuki was dead, moved on, unreachable forever, he gave a small cough as Denki sat back.

(M/N) left his weapons in the dirt as he flung himself at the blonde. "Katsuki?" (M/N) said softly. He brushed the damp blonde hair back from his forehead, found the pulse drumming against his fingers at Katsuki's neck.

His eyes slowly opened, meeting (M/N)'s.

"Careful," he groaned out. "There's a forcefield up ahead."

(M/N) laughed, but there were tears running down his cheeks.

"Must be a lot stronger than the one on the Training Centre roof," Katsuki said. "I'm alright, though."

"You were dead! Your heart stopped!" (M/N) burst out, completely choked up.

"Well, it seems to be working now," Katsuki said. "It's fine, (M/N)." (M/N) nodded his head as the only sounds that left him were choked sobs. "(M/N)?" Now Katsuki was worried about him, which just added to the insanity of it all.

"It's ok. It's just his hormones," Denki said. "From the baby." (M/N) looked up to see him, sitting back on his knees but still panting a bit from the climb and the heat and the effort of bringing Katsuki back from the dead.

"No. It's not-" (M/N) got out, but that was all he could say before the sobs overtook him again, only confirming what Denki said. His eyes met (M/N)'s and (M/N) glared at him through his tears. It was stupid, that Denki's efforts made him so vexed. All (M/N) wanted was to keep Katsuki alive, and he couldn't and Denki could, and (M/N) should have been nothing but grateful. And he was. But he was also furious because it meant he would never stop owing Denki Kaminari. Ever. So how could (M/N) kill him in his sleep?