Chapter 5

---

(M/N) stared at the doors in shock. This was all his fault, he was supposed to diffuse the districts, but instead he got someone killed. Shota, Emi, Rumi and Keigo were waiting under the static-filled screen that was mounted on to the wall, their faces tight with anxiety.

"What happened?" Emi hurried over. "We lost the feed just after (M/N)'s beautiful speech, and then Shota said he thought he heard gunfire, and I said it was ridiculous, but who knows? There are lunatics everywhere!"

Two more shots. The doors didn't muffle their sound much. Who was that? Shoji's grandmother? One of Wendy's little sisters?

"Both of you. With me," Shota said, grabbing (M/N) and Katsuki by their arms. The Peacekeepers who were stationed around the Justice Building took little interest in their movements now that they were inside. The three males ascended a magnificent marble staircase. At the top, there was a long hall with worn carpet on the floor. Double doors stood open, welcoming them into the first room they encountered. The ceiling must have been six metres high. Designs of fruit and flowers were carved into the moulding and small, fat children with wings looked down on them from every angle. Vases of blossoms gave off a scent that made (M/N)'s eyes itch. Their evening clothes hung on racks against the wall. This room had been prepared for their use, but they had barely been there long enough to drop off their gifts when Shota yanked the microphones from their chests, stuffed them beneath a sofa cousin, and waved them on.

As far as (M/N) knew, Shota had only been here once, when he was on his Victory Tour decades ago. But he must have had a remarkable memory or reliable instincts, because he led them up through a maze of twisting staircases and increasingly narrow halls. At times he had to stop and force open a door. By the protesting squeak of the hinges it was obvious that it had been a long time since it was opened.

Eventually they climbed a ladder to a trapdoor. When Shota pushed it aside, they found themselves in the dome of the Justice Building. It was a huge place filled with broken furniture, piles of books and ledgers, and rusty weapons. The coat of dust blanketing everything was so thick it was clear it hadn't been disturbed for years. Light struggled to filter in through four grimy square windows set in the sides of the dome. Shota kicked the trapdoor shut and turned to the boys.

"What happened?" he asked.

Katsuki relayed all that occurred in the square. The whistle, the salute, their hesitation on the veranda, the murder of the old man. "The hell's going on Shota?"

"I think it will be better coming from you," Shota said to (M/N).

(M/N) didn't agree. He thought it would be a hundred times worse coming from him. But he told Katsuki everything as calmly as he could. About President Nezu, the unrest in the districts. He didn't even exclude the kiss with Shoto. He layed out how they were all in jeopardy, how the whole country was in jeopardy because of his trick with the berries. "I was supposed to fix things on this tour. Make everyone who had doubted believe I acted out of love. Calm things down. But obviously, all I've done today is get three people killed, and now everyone in the square will be punished." (M/N) felt so sick that he had to sit down on the sofa, despite the exposed springs and stuffing.

"Then I made things worse, too. By giving them the money," Katsuki said. (M/N) wanted to say something to deny that, but before he could, the blonde struck a lamp that sat on top of a crate, knocking it across the room, where it shattered against the floor. "This has to stop. Right now. This - this game you two play, where you tell each other secrets but keep them from me like I'm too inconsequential or stupid or weak to handle them."

"It's not like that-" (M/N) began.

"It's exactly like that!" Katsuki yelled at him. "I have people I care about, too, (M/N)! Family and friends back in Twelve who will be just as dead as yours if we don't pull this thing off. So, after all we went through in the arena, don't I even rate the truth from you?"