Chapter 21

---

Tiny, searing stabs. Wherever the droplets of mist touched his skin.

"Run!" (M/N) screamed at the others. "Run!"

Denki snapped awake instantly, rising to counter an enemy. But when he saw the wall of fog, he tossed a still-sleeping Ultear onto his back and took off. Katsuki was on his feet but not as alert. (M/N) grabbed his arm and began to propel him through the jungle after Denki.

"What is it?" he said in bewilderment.

"Some kind of fog. Poisonous gas. Hurry!" (M/N) urged. He could tell that however much Katsuki denied it during the day, the aftereffects of hitting the forcefield had been significant. Katsuki was slow, much slower than usual. And the tangle of vines and undergrowth, which unbalanced M/N) occasionally, tripped him at every step.

(M/N) looked back at the wall of fog extending in a straight line as far as he could see in either direction. A terrible impulse to flee, to abandon Katsuki and save himself, shot through him. It would be so simple, to run full out, perhaps even climb a tree above the fog line, which seemed to top out at about twelve metres.

(M/N) remembered how he did just that when the mutations appeared in the last Games. Took off and only thought about Katsuki once he'd reached the Cornucopia. But this time, he trapped his terror, pushed it down, and stayed by the blonde's side. This time his survival wasn't the goal. Katsuki's was. (M/N) thought of the eyes glued to the television screens in the districts, seeing if he would run, as the Capitol wished, or hold his ground.

(M/N) locked his fingers tightly into Katsuki's. "Watch my feet. Just try to step where I step." It helped. They seemed to move a little faster, but never enough to afford a rest, and the mist continued to lap at their heels.

Droplets sprung free of the body of vapour. They burned, but not like fire. Less a sense of heat and more of intense pain as the chemicals found their flesh, clung to it, and borrowed down through the layers of skin. Their jumpsuits were no help at all. They all may as well have been dressed in tissue paper, for all the protection the suits gave.

Denki, who bounded off initially, stopped when he realised (M/N) and Katsuki were having problems. But this wasn't something he could fight, only evade. He shouted encouragement, trying to move them along, and the sound of his voice acted as a guide, though little more.

Katsuki's leg caught on something and he fell forward before (M/N) could catch him. As (M/N) helped him up, he could see that the left side of Katsuki's face was covered in blisters. "Katsuki-" (M/N) began, but was interrupted by the spasms running up his arm.

Whatever chemical laced the fog did more than burn - it targeted their nerves. A whole new kind of fear shot through (M/N) as he yanked Katsuki forward, which only caused him to stumble again. By the time (M/N) got Katsuki to his feet, both of his arms were twitching uncontrollably. The fog had moved in on them, the body of it less than a metre away. Katsuki couldn't walk properly, his legs moving in a spastic motion, clearly affected by the fog.

(M/N) felt him lurch forward and realised that Denki had come back for them and was hauling Katsuki along. (M/N) wedged his shoulder, which still seemed to be under his control, under Katsuki's arm and did his best to keep up with Denki's rapid pace. They put about ten metres between them and the fog when Denki stopped.

"It's no good. I'll have to carry him. Can you take Ultear?" he asked (M/N).

"Yes," (M/N) said, although his heart sank. It was true that Ultear couldn't weigh more than about thirty-five kilos, but he wasn't as big as Denki. Still, he was sure he had carried heavier loads. His arms wouldn't stop jumping around though, which was the main source of his concern.