Chapter 16

---

(M/N) and the others all gathered around to watch the recap of the opening ceremonies. As he watched the procession to the City Circle, he thought about how it was bad enough that they dressed everyone up in costumes and paraded them through the streets in chariots on a regular year. Kids in costumes were silly, but ageing victors, it turned out, were pitiful. A few who were on the younger side, like Neito and Denki, or whose bodies hadn't fallen into disrepair, like some of the other Careers, could still manage to maintain a little dignity. But the majority, who were in the clutches of drink or morphling or illness, looked grotesque in their costumes, depicting cows and trees and loaves of bread. Last year, they chattered about each contestant, but tonight there was only the occasional comment. No wonder the crowd went wild when (M/N) and Katsuki appeared, looking young and strong and beautiful in their brilliant costumes. The very image of what tributes should be.

(M/N) wondered if some of the victors were aware of the riots going on in certain districts. If they knew about the previous Head Gamemaker, Shinyo Kamihara, who was killed because of (M/N)'s stunt. If they knew about a potential District 13.

As soon as it was over, (M/N) stood up and thanked Keigo and Rumi for their amazing work before heading off to bed. Emi called a reminder to meet early for breakfast to work out their training strategy, but even her voice sounded hollow. Poor Emi. She finally had a decent year in the Games with him and Katsuki, and now it was all broken down into a mess that even she couldn't put a positive spin on. In Capitol terms, (M/N) guessed this counted as a true tragedy.

Soon after (M/N) went to bed, there was a quiet knock on his door, but he ignored it. He didn't want Katsuki tonight, instead just going straight to sleep.

~

When morning came he delayed going down to breakfast for as long as possible because he really didn't want to discuss their training strategy. What was there to discuss? Every victor already knew what everybody else could do. Or used to be able to do, anyway. So he and Katsuki would continue to act in love and that was that.

He took a long shower, dressed slowly in the outfit that Keigo had left for training, and ordered food from the menu in his room by speaking into the mouthpiece. In a minute, sausage, eggs, potatoes, bread, juice and hot chocolate appeared. He ate his fill, trying to drag out the minutes until ten o'clock, when they had to go down to the Training Centre. By nine-thirty, Shota was pounding on his door, obviously fed up with him, ordering him to the dining room. Still, (M/N) brushed his teeth before trudging down the hall, effectively killing another five minutes.

The dining room was empty except for Katsuki and Shota, the latter was wearing a solid-gold bangle with a pattern of flames. It must have been a part of Emi's matching-token plan. "You're late," he snarled at (M/N).

"Sorry. I slept in after the nightmares kept me up half the night." (M/N) meant to sound hostile but he just sounded drained. He felt that way, too.

Shota gave him a scowl. "Today, in training, you've got two jobs. One, stay in love."

"Obviously," (M/N) said.

"And two, make some friends," Shota said.

"No," (M/N) said. "I don't trust any of them, I can't stand most of them, and I'd rather operate with just the two of us."

"That's what I said, but-" Katsuki began.

"But it won't be enough," Shota insisted. "You're going to need more allies this time around."

"Why?" (M/N) asked.

"Because you're at a direct disadvantage. Your competitors have known each other for years. So who do you think they're going to target first?" Shota said.