Chapter 04 |Family

Elena Feng dutifully made an amazing breakfast for her family. Cleaning everything that needed to be cleaned, she knocked softly on her daughter’s door and called.“Olivia, darling wake up.”

Silence greeted her call and she opened the door, she opened the curtains and let the warm sun penetrate the room. She turned around but couldn't find any shadow of her daughter. She rushed to her husband’s room and harshly flung the door opened. Dave Feng was about to reprimand his wife but the urgency in her actions made him still.

“Olivia, she is missing.” Her heart shook as she spouted those few words, her heart clenched painfully and her diamond blue orbs were covered in fear and worry. What could've happened to her precious baby girl? Was she kidnapped or worse taken away? Millions of questions echoed through her head she wanted someone to answer them.

Reassure them that their baby girl is safe but the words were never answered. Dave stood up with such force than the chair he sat on fell with a bang. He arrived to his wife's petite form and held her arms. His lips quivered as he asked again,“W..What did you say.” He stuttered in fear, what could've happened? Was it their fault?

“She..she ran away! I had wanted to wake her up and tell her breakfast is ready but..woo woo..She wasn't there.  What are we going to do?” She sobbed as she told what happened. Both anxious waiting for someone to comfort and tell them the truth of these events that occurred.

Ronald was woken up by the rucus that was going on downstairs. He might as well wake up, he flipped through his wardrobe and picked an outfit. Taking a long rose covered bath and wore his clothes. He brushed his teeth and had gotten downstairs.

“Mom, dad, what's wrong?” Ronald asked as he placed his breakfast on a plate and sat in his seat. He waited but he was met with silence, he looked up and met two pair of eyes that looked hopeful. Dave and Elena had found a link, maybe their son knew?

“Your..Your sister is missing,” Dave started and Ronald followed along. He had arrived at the beginning of the plot but not in fact. The plot had already started way before he arrived but the female protagonist hadn't gotten a firm foothold on the second male protagonist’s thigh and was wondering around for an opportunity.

“Oh..” Ronald answered as he ate his breakfast undisturbed by this event. Dave and Elena both looked puzzled, why isn't their son reacting the same way as them.“ Son, what do you mean, ‘Oh’. We had just told you your sister is missing.”

“Oh, I heard you but you seem to not hear yourselves.” He objected to their chatter, both parents were puzzled and waited for him to explain. Ronald took his sign and informed them,“No one can go missing in this house without any of us noticing, the house was locked and all of us have a key not anyone else. So how could they suddenly come and kidnap her..” He left his plate in the sink and washed his hands, drying them and pointing at the couch.

Dave and Elena both digested that information and hesitantly nodded before their eyes glinted with realisation. Yes! They always lock the door and only the four of them have the keys, how could their daughter go missing?

“So she had willingly ‘went missing’ meaning that she had done it on her own. Why she didn't inform us is the same reason she has had everytime we said she must study hard.” Ronald finished off as crossed his slender legs the cold majesty that was magnified in his every word made people drawn to the logic. He spoke facts, the memories he has showed that Olivia was a princess in this household but they couldn't make her happy so they wanted her to have money so she could be her own woman.

And everytime they said that she would always throw silly tantrums that made them all frustrated, she would scream,“All my friends have wealthy parents while I have poor parents. I don't want to be poor, why can't you even buy a dress. Oh! That's right because you're poor.”

She would never put herself in the scenario, always excluding her existence. Those words made the whole family fume, Ronald would scold her heavily putting her in her place while Elena and Dave would make a few disapproving remarks on her twisted view but the argument always ended peaceful.

At the very beginning, Olivia had been envious of what others had and she didn't. She would pressure her parents until the concieded but she could never get a dime out of Ronald. As he thought more logically than Olivia. So all the cards were managed by him, so the freedom of her spending was terminated. She felt humiliated and grew to hate her poor background and stingy brother.

From his point of view her way of seeing things was very one sided. Wealthy and powerful families always faced dangers on every corner. That is what made being a wealthy person annoying and dangerous. But people only saw a big shiny pearl, the beauty and things they could get. The dangers were thrown in a far corner until they met enemy number 1, then enemy number 1, 2, 3, until the nth enemy. Until they get tired and fall. The cycle always repeats itself. Those who stand at the top can never relax. They need to make sure they stay at the top.

It is a lonely but tough journey, you need to be as viscous and as cold as the north pole. If you have a spec of love or even feelings, they will hunt you down and turn you into a step stool for their own worth. It is very lonely at the top.