Part XI: Gods, Mortals and Saviors

"A Choice From The Gods Is As Useless As The Gods Themselves." - Kratos (GOW 2)

As I got closer, the smell of fire, burning flesh and blood thickened. My eyes widened as there was a collection of houses, a village persay, being set ablaze. Damon and I kept low and rode into the burning village. Hoping off of Damon, I looked around for the people who were once screaming. Buildings were on fire and falling apart.

I got to the nearest building and extended my hand, pulling the fire away from the building. I gasped a bit as the fire from that burning building went into my tattoo. I quickly ran inside to see two children screaming frantically in the corner.

"Helga," one of the children cried out, sniffling. The older girl looked up as the younger child pointed at me. "Look!"

My eyes widened as the girl looked around panicked. I slowly made my way over to her. "I promise I'm just here to help, I can stop the fires," I said softly, holding out my hand to her.

I watched her eyes as she examined me fully then slowly took my hand as she held tightly to her baby in her arms. The child who pointed me out, ran up to me and I picked them up. Slowly and gently, I led them out of the burning village.

"Please wait here, I will go and rescue the others then get to the bottom of this," I said, holding my hand out to them, motioning them to stay back.

Helga took my hand gently. "Goddess, thank you. It was the Aesir God who caused this. He was looking for a giantess, but we wouldn't tell him anything. So, he burned down everything and is killing our men. Please help us," she said, pleading.

"I will see what I can do," I replied softly. I released her hand and motioned for Damon to stay with the woman and her children.

One by one, as I walked, I extended my hands, and the fires left the buildings and began to swirl around me. Soon, they absorbed into me and my tattoo shone brightly. I began helping others and the people were thanking me graciously as I began putting children on my back and carrying people to safety where Damon was standing on high alert. After a while, the fires ceased and I rescued the last person, carrying them on my back.

I smiled softly as I placed down the woman who was on my back last.

"Are you all alright? What happened?"

"The Aesir came by with the sons of Thor, Magni and Modi. They knew that this village was home to people who had information on giants and their whereabouts on the last known one: a giantess. She was known as Laufey, the Just. Noble, kind, and benevolent. Beautiful woman. They decided to burn us all down to the ground," The eldest woman said, stepping up and taking my hand.

"I sense that one of them are still nearby," a small girl whispered in my ear.

I stood straight up and immediately, I felt a surge of energy coming from the village. This power I was feeling felt menacing and it only pumped me up more. I had no idea who the Aesir was or Thor. But Jormungandr mentioned the Aesir in his native tongue and it sounded like he wasn't on their side regarding them. The breath of the people behind me went cold. I breathed deeply and Damon's hair raised as I heard the people behind me gasp.

Something was coming from the air. I stepped back towards the people quickly and held out my shield on front of the people I saved. A man came down from the sky in front of me slamming down his rather large broadsword. His sword released a powerful shockwave and I stayed in front of the people with my shield defending them from it. "Get out of here! Run away! Damon will keep you safe until I call out to you," I yelled loudly, as I placed my shield back on my back and unsheathed my twin blades from my sides. The people began to run into the forest with Damon by their side.