IXX: Family is... Complicated

"Don't mistake me, brother. From what I heard, the pantheon had it coming. But it's still a bit to take in. I knew you hate gods, but you really can't stay away from them, can you?"- Mimir to Kratos.

///////

"Boy!" Kratos screamed.

"You were gone for a long, long time!" Atreus replied, pointing to the bodies of the elves that we took down.

I looked at my hands and then looked at the pair as they held the bifrost. Atreus shot his arrow and formed a bridge made of light, just as Freya did. I took out some of my food and ate a little bit. I realized that I haven't in a while.

"Adoni," Atreus gasped, "your tattoo."

It was swirling inside, it seemed alive. The magic was alive in me. I glanced at it and my eyes grew wide.

"It looks like Deimos'," I said quietly.

Kratos' eyes widened, then softened. He didn't say a word.

"Are you okay, Atreus?" I asked, walking beside Kratos. He wasn't upset, but I know it came out of worry.

"Yes," he says, looking around.

"And you, Kratos?"

"I am fine," he replies, quietly.

"Then let us continue," I said, flipping my daggers into a spear and walking with it by my side.

"Why were the Keres here?" Kratos asked.

"Keres?" Atreus questioned, turning around to us.

"They were here to torment me. At first, they came to me pretending to be Zagreus. They got into my head. Deimos' spirit helped me remember who I was. Enyo, the goddess of violent war, also came to me while you lot were dealing with Sindri. She will die first, if Nemesis doesn't first," I told him. "The Keres are nasty spirits, evil birds with human heads. They disturb you mentally. "

"Birds with human heads? Sounds pretty crazy," Atreus said. " I hope Damon is okay. "

I smiled. "Damon cares for you. He isn't a normal wolf. He has incredible durability, stamina, strength and speed that rivals the goddess of the Hunt. Like I said before, nothing will happen to him."

Out of nowhere, as we walked, I sensed something coming from behind, flying behind us. Suddenly, whatever it was grabbed Atreus. I threw my spear at it and Kratos threw his axe, causing whatever it was to drop Atreus. I ran up and jumped, catching him.

"What was that?" Atreus asked.

I shook my head.

"It was bigger than the rest of the elves," he added.

Kratos looked down at Atreus. "Are you alright?"

Atreus nodded. I got up and looked around, the winged creature wasn't in sight.

We continued to journey through the lands, trying to escape from the elves and go back to the boat. But we were stopped by another dark elf. They were much, much different than the others that Atreus and I killed. It seemed more armored, encased in protection. It wore a sharp spikes that looked like a crown. He stood in our way.

"Whoever you are, I suggest you move out of our way," Kratos said, unsheathing his axe.

He spoke in a weird language and my gem glowed.

"He said no and he will not move since we threaten his campaign against Alfheim's light elves. It threatened us," I said, tilting my head. "Who are you?"

"I am not interested in who he is, " Kratos said quietly.

"He's their king," Atreus said, pulling out an arrow. "He's in our way."