Chapter 9: New partner

As I approached class 1-A, I was greeted by Uraraka in the hallway.

"Hey, Deku!" she beamed, running over to me.

"Hey, Uraraka." I replied, elated to see her as well.

Over our first year at U.A, Uraraka and I had really developed a special relationship with each other. No one else had what we had, it was unique to us. I was glad to have a friend like her by my side.

"What's that piece of paper in your hand for?" she asked.

"Oh, this? I'm trying to get a new partner for the hero study programme." I responded.

"But I thought you couldn't change partners?" 

"That's true but you can get another partner if a third year agrees."

"How come you're trying to get another third year?" she enquired.

"Since my current 'teacher' has no interest in actually helping me I thought I'd get someone else who actually wants to teach me." I responded, clenching the piece of paper a little harder.

"That's super uncool, why wouldn't they want to help you? You're so passionate about working hard." 

I small blush crept onto my face from her compliment. 

"T-Thanks Uraraka... Anyways, that's why I asked Hado if she would be willing to train me for both the study side and combat side. It took some convincing, but fortunately she signed it. I was just about to hand it to Mr. Aizawa." 

"Having someone from the top three helping you! That's amazing Deku." Uraraka spoke delightfully. 

She had a big smile on her face but it was partially forced, however I had no idea why. We entered the classroom together and Uraraka took her seat while I wondered over to Mr. Aizawa's desk. 

"Here you go Mr. Aizawa." I said gleefully, placing the piece of paper onto the desk.

He picked up the form and stared at it intently. He let out a small sigh before speaking,

"I'm surprised a third year actually decided to sign this. Especially Hado. I'll sign this and put in for an assistant partner for your combat portion of the study programme."

I couldn't help but feel proud of myself as I thanked my teacher and headed to my seat. A majority of the other students began to flood in as the bell rang loudly through the school, signifying the beginning of school. As everyone walked to their seat, although begrudgingly, to start class, Mr. Aizawa began to introduce today's topic. 

"Open you text books to page 219." he said plainly.

I followed his instructions as he began to teach history. Time dragged itself along slowly and throughout the whole lesson I couldn't help my thoughts from drifting away to think about Hado, even when I tried my best not to.

"I have to stop thinking about her all the time" I thought.

Everyone in my vicinity stared at me, either holding back laughter or looking at me confused.

Crap, I may have accidently muttered that... 

Mr. Aizawa began to wrap up the lesson as lunch neared and I was sweating profusely to get away from the awkward situation I had just caused for myself. Especially because my classmates were going to question me about it later.

"Alright, you can leave for lunch everyone, just remember you have study and then combat practise after lunch with the third years." Mr. Aizawa said tiredly.

I quickly gathered my belongings and tried to shuffle my way out of the classroom, unfortunately I was walled in by Mina and a few other of my classmates. How did what I said spread to the other side of the room so fast!? 

"So Midoriya, I hear you can't get a girl out of your head?" she asked rhetorically.

Mina Ashido. She gets all the details on any rumor, gossip and other form of interesting talk within a day of hearing about it. Her power should really be interrogation since she seems to be so good at it. 

"Haha w-where'd you h-hear t-that Mina?" I chuckled, visibly nervous and sweaty.

"It happened only moments ago, Midoriya." She said seriously.

I'm so screwed right now. 

"Come on, Midoriya. Who's this mystery girl you can't get out your head?" Kaminari edged on curiously.

"Oooh I think I know! It has to be Ochaco right?" Hagakure chimed in.

I could see Uraraka just patiently waiting for me, blushing like crazy after what Hagakure had just mentioned.

"He's not even denying it. It's for sure her." Kirishima added.

My brain was on the fritz and I was too nervous to compose a proper sentence other than the odd, "W-Wait T-Thats" and "W-What d-do you m-mean?".

I looked passed the group of students surrounding me. I frantically scanned the back of the room until our eyes met, after we made eye contact he just shrugged. He walked towards the exit of the classroom ignoring my mental plead for assistance. Finally, Mr. Aizawa stopped at the door and spoke,

"If you're all not out of my classroom in the next 10 seconds you'll have triple the homework for the rest of the year." 

Then he left. 

Thankfully his threat was enough to make everyone scramble out of the classroom. I breathed a sigh of relief and mentally thanked my teacher for that. I recovered from the bombardment of attacks and left the classroom as well. They had all decided to leave except for Uraraka who continued to wait for me.

As I left the class, we started walking together side by side. The atmosphere was extremely awkward between us after what had just happened. We both just kind of kept walking while we silently blushed. 

I don't have feelings for Uraraka in that way but, I still get nervous around her. When we reached our lockers and began to put away our things I wondered about earlier and why I had even muttered what I had said. Why was I thinking about Hado so much?

"You ready for lunch, Deku?" She asked timidly.

"U-Uh, yea." I replied.

We walked down to the cafeteria where Lunch Rush was preparing all the meals. I didn't really want to adress what was said when I was being pressed for information as it was making it super uncomfortable between us. Uraraka finally pierced the ice that was our conversation,

"Deku... I just want you to know that it's totally okay if you're feeling awkward right now, especially after what Mina was saying... I don't want anything to change between us." She spoke while clenching her skirt tightly with her eyes shut.

That's a relief, she spoke what was on my mind.

"Same here, Uraraka." 

We reached the lunch room and we both joined the queue for Lunch Rush's food. After a short wait the two of us walked towards the middle of the cafeteria. I was split on my decision. On one hand I really wanted to see Hado again, but I didn't want to leave Uraraka either.

She was clearly having second thoughts too, but ultimately she decided to go towards Tsuyu, Iida, Todoroki, and Momo. Before she got far I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Would you maybe want to join Hado and I for lunch instead?" I invited her.

She took a moment to get over the shock of what I just asked her before she settled on an answer. She smiled and spoke,

"Sure, Deku."

A radiant smile appeared on my face as we approached the table Hado was sitting at.

__________

Author's Note: What Drama is about to occur? Find out soon in the next chapter.