000: Prologue

When rain started to fall that night, he repeated the same question he asked when he first got this mission 4 years ago. He could no longer contain the tears that were about to fall with the raindrops. He kept asking himself that question over and over, "can I see her once again before I die?"

The rain started to get heavy, wet his whole body that laid on the ground. Her face flashed between his thoughts, forcing him to stop thinking about the worst possibilities. Maybe because there was nothing worse than being stabbed and twisted to death, or maybe because there was nothing better to remember than your lover when you're gasping for another minute on earth.

He sobbed uncontrollably. The rain kept washing off the blood, sweat and tears on him, making him feel so drained even though the whole city was damp. He remembered her promise to him the night before he left. How they were screaming at each other in frustration. He remembered it like it happened yesterday. It was raining too that night, as heavy as tonight, that's why the neighbor didn't complain. They didn't hear the yelling and the arguments. As ironic as their situation back then, loud rains made the most quiet times.

He regretted a lot of things that happened in his life. People said crappy life is not caused by our actions, sometimes it's just fate, but he's 100% sure his crappy life was caused by his own choices.

He just wished he could fix things he broke before he died. Maybe not in this life, maybe not in this world. Because he fucking knew his life will end tonight. Nobody would want to walk down this alley at midnight, especially when it rains like this. This part of town was the worst place, too far and isolated, the road was muddy and the sky was always gray. People just chose not to come here. So he was trying to accept the fact that he's going to die soon.

The sky roared with thunder as he tried to close his eyes. He realized he doesn't have any more energy to feel shock, his skin has gotten so pale. The suit he was wearing felt warm and nice. He started to feel like this is the best place for him to leave.

The thunder was heard once more. His body already stopped fighting, but he heard the last thunder. Somewhere, somehow, he wished he could rewrite his story to fix what's been broken.

 Somewhere, somehow, he wished he could rewrite his story to fix what's been broken

435 words

Published 1 December 2022