104: The Life We Left

'He's here.'

He didn't understand the panic he felt when the thought flashes. But his body moved fast, gathering all his belongings into a rumpled-brown bag. His heart was racing too fast.

"How did they know we're here?"

A woman. Her eyes were scared. Jungkook wanted to notice other things about her but it seemed like the eyes were the only thing he wanted to look into right now. It felt like he already knew her. Too well, even.

Jungkook felt regret and sorry for her. He wanted to say something but didn't. His hands kept gathering their clothes from the cabinet. Not all of it, just some. When he reached the top shelf, his hand felt something.

"The prism." He muttered. He immediately pocketed it, his eyes glanced at her. He felt warmth beyond his anxiety. Maybe it was because of her.

"C'mon." He held her hand.

-

Jungkook still couldn't fathom why they were suddenly yelling at each other. Her eyes were damp again, her pale skin shivered.

She looked so mad and frustrated. They both were frustrated from all this. The fight tires him. Jungkook didn't know where else to go anymore. It felt like they would find him anyway. But he really couldn't leave her alone. She needed him. The baby needed him.

'The baby?'

"I wanted to give up. Why didn't you let me?" She whispered. Her body crumbled, looked so fragile and broken already.

 Her body crumbled, looked so fragile and broken already

-

Jungkook woke up, sweating and panting. He turned on the light. He dreamt about it again.

He thought he had already stopped having those. The frequent dreams that made him awake at night. He thought those dreams stopped when he started to go to therapy. But apparently the dreams came back.

Even so, this one felt different. Jungkook used to dream about himself, being dead, alone on a rainy midnight. The dreams were always the variations of that scenario, sometimes it started when he fell on the ground when the rain hadn't started yet. Sometimes it started when it ended, when the thunder roared for the second time.

But it was never this. Never he ever dreamt about the cheap motel and the afternoons. Where he was panicking and scared for his life. Where he was worried and wanted to die. Where he wanted to run far away with the love of his life.

Her.

Jungkook didn't really remember her face anymore. He felt something weird when he tried to, like keep floating when you wanted to drown, if it even makes sense. All he could remember was the divine of hers when she smiled. He didn't see her smile in the dream, but somehow he knew how beautiful she looks when she's happy.

So weird. The dream stressed him. He wanted to go back to sleep again, but looking at the clock, he grunted. It was almost 6. He couldn't sacrifice his meeting for an hour more sleep, can he?

-

"Fuck."

Lisa hated herself. She hated her shoes. She hated her alarm clock. Why couldn't it ring again after she threw it on the floor?

She tried to walk faster to the bus stop. She didn't have her breakfast this morning, nor her latte. She already planned to have her breakfast and coffee in peace an hour before the exam, but she didn't wake up on time. She couldn't sacrifice her exam for a breakfast now, can she?

Lisa already worked at Severance Hospital as a student. She studied at Yonsei University College of Nursing for 4 years, and today is her most awaited day since the first time she came to Seoul. She will get her medical license if she aces this test, and she will have her dream job soon enough.

Lisa's mother once asked her about her dream job. She remembered herself wandering and daydreaming for a whole week before she answered the question. Her mother was a cool surgeon, but Lisa didn't want to be her. She loves the idea of taking care of others, to see the smile on their eyes. She thought she always wanted to be a nurse from the first time she ever knew about job titles.

Lisa was a brilliant student at college. She shone so bright and always active at classes, asking great questions and answering with logical explanations. The professors loved to discuss things with her. Sometimes she did it to avoid thinking about the life she left in Thailand, but a lot of times she did it because she loved it.

-

She did it. The clinical skills test, she did it. She felt so sure about herself. She rarely feels this way, but when she does, she's always right.

"Lisa-yah!" Someone shouted. Lisa used to lay-low to avoid the family finding out about her, but apparently she was so popular at college and a lot of times people just came to her to ask about assignments or anything.

Jaehyun hopped in front of her. He grinned at her, as always. The naughty eyes are there again. Lisa sighed. "What?"

"Oh my, is that how you talk to all of your seniors?" He put on a hurt expression to annoy her.

Lisa rolled her eyes. She continued walking.

"You didn't ask me what I wanted to say."

"I already said 'what' didn't I."

"Yeah but you said it without your soul involved so it didn't count."

Lisa massaged her temple. "Why are you always complicating things, oh my God. Just say it, it's so easy."

He stopped walking. Lisa glanced at him, "what is it?" she asked, curious. He rarely looked serious like this.

"I hate to say this to you but I'm leaving this Friday." He glared at her. "You must be happy that I'm gone right! But I'll be back so you should never forget me. Remember that!"

Lisa got a little shocked hearing it. She expected it, knowing that his father always pushed him to go study in the US since she met him for the first time. He always refused and stalling then went to Yonsei instead, but this year his father couldn't wait any longer and forced him to go or he will be disowned. Very strict and scary, Lisa thought, but it looks normal for a company's heir to study in the US before they inherit the company.

"Oh, it's now?" Lisa blinked. They sat on the bench.

"Yeah, he already said he will disown me for the 14th time. I couldn't listen to it anymore." he chuckled. Lisa looked at him. "I'm sorry, it must be hard for you because you never wanted it." she patted his back.

Jaehyun looked back at her. He looked annoyed. "You know that I wanted it."

"What?"

"I wanted it, Lisa." he repeated it in English. "But I want you too."

He muttered, but Lisa knew what she heard.

--

1106 words

1106 words

Published 4 December 2022