Out to Lunch

"Hello, Sakura?" I asked into the speaker of my cellphone.

"Hey!" She responded cheerfully.

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out this afternoon? Maybe we could go out into town?"

"Yeah, sounds like fun!"

We hung up after deciding to meet up at her favorite, local, lunch restaurant. I slid my cellphone into my pocket. I realized that it would be rude to leave Naruto alone in my apartment, but I knew it wouldn't be in Sakura's best interest to have him tag along. We would probably end up continuing our conversation last night at least once during our afternoon out.

I had about thirty minutes before I had to head out. I stepped into Naruto's guest room. He was busy working on his laptop.

"Hey," I began, peeking my head into the room. I shut the door behind me. "I'm going to be hanging out with Sakura soon, you wanna tag along?"

He looked up at me as he shut his laptop. "Sounds fun, sure, I'll come with you."

"Cool, be ready to go in about thirty minutes," I told him before I stepped out of his room. I sent a text to let Sakura know that Naruto would be coming along with me as I walked back into the living room.

She sent back an angered looking emoji. I laughed to myself and sent the same emoji back along with a smiley face.

A little while later and Naruto and I had both shown up at the local lunch restaurant. We looked around inside and I spotted Sakura at a booth near the far right corner. I waved to her as we approached her.

"Hey, it's great to see you again!" She spoke, smiling to hide the fact that she didn't really want Naruto there.

Maybe Naruto was right, Sakura really did like me. I hope that was the only reason she wanted to be alone. She made me feel afraid of Naruto, as if he really is a criminal and quite dangerous.

After a little chitchat, we ordered some food and continued our conversation. Sakura looked tense.

"How have you been, Naruto?" She asked simply.

"I'm alright," He assured, "I'm doing well..."

The amount of tension in the air felt like it was weighing me down. A while later, the waiter showed up and handed out our meals. By now, I felt sick to my stomach and had completely lost my appetite. The smell of the freshly made food made my stomach turn. I just sat and stared at my food, shifting it around with a fork to look like I was at least trying to eat something.

Sakura noticed, "You're not hungry?"

"Not really, I guess I am still full from breakfast...," I lied.

She brushed it off and continued to eat. Our conversations for the rest of the meal consisted of small talk and simple topics relating to school next year. When we finished, I generously offered to pay for lunch.

I could tell that Sakura still wanted to talk to me about something, but Naruto continued to hover around me. Whenever Sakura tried to talk to me on the way home, Naruto would but in and sometimes change the topic even. Was he jealous of Sakura? That I was talking to her and not directly to him? This thought made me chuckle.

Sakura left down the road towards her place, while Naruto and I walked back to my apartment. We kept quiet most of the way. Naruto tried bringing up something to discuss, but I ended up giving responses that led to a dead end.

Back in my apartment, I sat down on my couch and switched the television on. I surfed through the channels until I chose to watch "Yard Crashers". Naruto headed back into his room and I didn't hear another sound from him. Suddenly, the sound of rushing water startled me and it wasn't coming from the television show. I stepped over into the hallway to check it out.