Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

-_-_-_-_-_-

12 Years Ago:

“Mum!” I shrieked shrilly, trying to squirm my way towards her, through the litter of broken and empty beer bottles and cans lying on the ground. She turned to look in my direction. There were dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep, but she still gave me a weak smile despite her obvious exhaustion.

I bounded my way towards her. My arms were held wide open as I hugged her tightly around her waist. I felt her soft hand patting me gently on my head.

So much kinder than his touch. She loves me.

I pulled myself close to her, burying my nose into her stomach, and feeling myself sigh with relief. I was safe. He wouldn’t hurt me because she would protect me. She would keep me safe.

“I missed you.” I murmured quietly, afraid that if I spoke too loud now, she would push me away. I just wanted to hold on to her for a little longer.

She made an unintelligible sound before she sighed and pulled herself away.

I felt cold when she did. Clutching tightly to her skirt I stared up at her. “Please don’t leave.” I begged, feeling the tears beginning to roll down my cheeks.

I should know better.

That earned me an eye roll, and she pulled my hands away from her, holding my wrist tightly so that I wouldn’t just put them back around her again. She crouched down to look at me.

“I thought we spoke about this.” She said tiredly.

I looked down ashamed, but nodded my head slowly. “You can’t be here all the time.” I repeated the words she so often told me.

“Then why are you crying?” She asked. I recognised the tone. She was irritated with me. I bit my lip, to stop it from trembling. I knew she wouldn’t hurt me though. She never laid a hand on me, ever.

“I’m sorry.” I murmured quietly.

She out a loud sigh. “You’re not two anymore Kayleigh. You’re not supposed to cry.”

I nodded my head, and she put a finger under my chin to force me to look into her eyes. I sniffed loudly, pushing back the tears. She was right. I wasn’t two anymore.

“I’m sorry.” I repeated, wiping the tears away furiously. Weak.

She gave me a small nod of approval at my actions. She pulled one of her hands away, as she looked down at her watch. She frowned. “You should be in bed.” She said her eyes looking at me in accusation.

I shuffled on my feet. “I was scared. It was too dark in my room.” I confessed. “My light broked and I don’t kn-know how to fix it.” I stuttered.

Her whole face contorted into an exasperated expression. “Broke.” She corrected me instantly. I winced, knowing she hated it when I got my words wrong. “And I told you before Kayleigh, the dark is nothing to be scared of.”

I bit my lip, nodding my head.

“Go to bed Kayleigh.” She ordered pulling away from me all together, and standing back to her full height once more.

I bit my lip. “C-can you fix m-my light?” I asked, shuffling on my feet nervously.

She frowned at me. “Tomorrow.” She said simply.

I felt my heart rate pick up. “B-but it’s really dark.” I told her.

“Kayleigh!” She snapped, putting her hands on her hips as she glared down at me. “I told you tomorrow, now go to bed!” She ordered pointing to the stairs. My heart sped up at the sound of her shout, but I knew she wouldn’t hurt me.