Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten:

“Is there something I can help you with?!” I snapped angrily to the group of small first years that were not so subtly staring at me as I twisted in my combination for my locker.

“N-n-no.” One of the girls squeaked out. “I-I-We were j-j-jus-”

I sighed deciding to put her out of her misery. “Just nothing. Scram.” I shooed them away, feeling uncomfortable with them trying to talk to me.

They all scattered immediately down the hall. Rushing to get away from me.

This had been going on for as long as I could remember. People pointing. Whispering. But lately it had gotten so much worse and I was pretty sure I knew why.

Jayden.

It was the only logical explanation. Of course they would be curious as to why someone like Jayden would be bothering to hang around with someone like me. It was just one more reason why I needed him to stay out of my life.

But since his recent absurd decision to try and befriend me he would openly try starting conversations with me in public. That just caused more people to try listen in. To shuffle closer.

I hated it.

Other people had now started to try talking to me too.

It was awful. There were boys who even tried flirting with me ever since the day I had worn that dress. But at least they seemed to grasp the whole ‘fuck off’ message that Jayden was seemingly oblivious to.

No matter how viciously I shot him down he kept insisting on being friends. I almost wanted to agree just so he would stop nagging me, but I was also sure that was some part of his devious plan.

I slammed my locker door, feeling the frustration build up inside me just thinking about it. I stalked towards me lesson with my head held high, trying not to flinch when people got too close, or people looked at me funnily.

To be honest there were only a few people that did. But that was a few people too many.

Yanking the door to my classroom open I settled down in my seat not caring that there was a few more minutes left of break. I just needed to sit down.

The teacher gave me a startled glance, because most days I would barely show up on time for a lesson, let alone early. But they chose to keep silent and continue setting up the lesson next.

She probably didn’t see the worth in trying to get me to leave for a few minutes for break to finish. Slowly the class started to fill with groups of students as they walked in with their friends.

Loud chatter filled the air as they took their seats and people began shouting across the classroom for each other to hear

I didn’t participate in any of the conversation, but instead attempted to ignore them all. That was until a shadow fell over my desk, catching my attention to the person standing in front of me.

I scooted further away, glad that I was sitting at the back of the class so that I wasn’t scooting any closer any one else behind me. Just a wall.

My eyes lazily trailed up the figure of the girl before me, automatically checking her stance for any concealed weapons or anger. Reflex reaction. There was nothing there. If anything the girl looked nervous to talk to me, and her only weapon would be the textbook she was gripping on so tightly to.

“Want something?” I snapped at her, making sure to sound impatient. I was impatient. I wanted to get rid of her.

“You’re Kayleigh Moore right?” Her voice didn’t shake like I half expected it to, instead she sounded…openly friendly.