Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen:

“Are you sure you’re okay to lock up?” Marcy asked me for the millionth time. She was biting her lip worriedly, watching me clean the tables as she slipped her coat on. “I wouldn’t usually ask but Lisa is coming home tonight-”

I cut her off from what was probably going to be her thousandth apology by shaking my head. “And you need to be there for your daughter. I get it Marcy. Now get going before you make yourself late.”

I made a ‘shooing’ motion with my hands indicating her to leave.

Marcy shot me a grateful smile. “Thank you.” She said appreciatively, shrugging on her coat.

I rolled my eyes at her and pointed to the door, making her laugh.

I let out a loud sigh to myself when she left, letting my shoulders slump with exhaustion as soon as the door fell shut behind her.

I still had to clean all the tables, sweep the floor, count the cash, and double check all the locks before I could go home tonight, and I felt like I was on the verge of dropping to the floor from the lack of sleep I’d been getting in the last few days.

Rolling my sleeves to my elbows I set to work. And half and hour later I was close to done.

I ran a hand through my hair, catching my reflection in the pitch-black window. I winced at what I saw. I looked just as drained as I felt with dark circles rimming my eyes, a deep frown set into my forehead, and my hair frizzing out in odd directions.

Comforting to know that I not only felt like shit, but looked like it too. Really.

As my jaw clenched I felt a stab of pain through my cheek. Letting out a sigh I leant closer, able to see the now fading bruise across the left side of my face. I reached a hand up to touch it, and my reflection dutifully mirrored my actions.

That’s when it happened.

There was a dull, thudding click, and I couldn’t see my reflection anymore. In fact I couldn’t see anything anymore. Not a damned thing.

My heart jumped into my throat as I stumbled back, a shriek  caught up in my throat that had closed in on itself. I panicked, toppling over my own feet I felt the back of my knees touch something.

I fell backwards over one of the dining chairs.

I bit back a loud curse as pain threaded up my side and arm, where I fell at a funny angle.

The more pressing matter was I couldn’t see. It was to dark.

Where the hell did the lights go?

Panic welled in my helplessly in my stomach, and I couldn’t hear anything over my laboured breathing, as my head pounded.

Calm down! I kept yelling at myself in my head. But I wasn’t listening. I knew that if I could have seen anything right then it would have been nothing more than colourful dots, and darkening edges.

I fumbled around on the floor, trying to get to my feet again, but the best I could manage was to sit up, because my legs weren’t working properly. They shook like jelly as soon as I tried putting my weight on them.

It’s stupid to be afraid of the dark, Kayleigh.

You’re not a kid anymore. You need to grow up.

Only kids are afraid of the dark.

The words were ringing in my head, none of them helping in calming me down. Not when I couldn’t see so much as an inch in front of me.