1

"When you've quite finished..."

The impatience of Jonah Kenley was clear in his tone, Montana could sense that it was growing every second that they were stood at the memorial for the ones who vanished. It was rare that he'd accompany her, not being the kind of man to crack a smile let alone show grief for a woman who he had loved.

Montana took a step back, her mother's name simply fading into existence along with the others that had been engraved alongside hers.

And there were too many to even count.

Even after the years that had passed since the snap, the governments still couldn't acquire an accurate census. The boarders were open, people came and went, children still were waiting to be taken on after losing their parents.

Her father had told her to count herself lucky that they had what they had - but it was how he'd made his money and their lifestyle that was what she didn't agree with.

Illegal trade - it had become all the rage, with products that had become rare to buy being top of the list. People would pay good money for something like that, as well as the usual weapons, alcohol and medicines. A lot of things had changed when it came to day to day living.

Without another word, Montana turned, her father's hand clamping firmly down on her shoulder and leading her to the waiting car. "Now that's out of the way, we have business to attend". Jonah told her, nodding to Wyatt, one of his men who now closed the car door and got in the front.

"You mean you do. I'm never allowed to go to your lunch things..."

"Because you could be out spending money like a normal girl, shopping with Mila and whoever it is you hang out with these days - what about that Bree girl? Haven't seen her in a while?"

"Probably because she disappeared just like everyone else who did". Montana gritted her teeth, trying not to become angry at just how disconnected her father was from her and from the world.

Jonah said nothing, choosing to turn his attention to his phone, texting whoever - probably another 'business associate' or in other words, another criminal he was planning on meeting with.

Leaning forward, Montana tapped on the partition that divided the back of the car from the front. It slid down. "Wyatt, could you drop me back home please?"

"You don't want to head into the city Miss Kenley?" Even Wyatt sounded confused that she wasn't being a stereotypical woman who loved to shop and buy herself pretty things with daddy's money.

"No". Came the firm reply.

"Alright then". He shrugged and the partition slid back up.

She sat back in her seat, sinking further into it and looking out of the window. "You know, you could at least admit that you miss mom? Instead of acting like it's a total burden just visiting the memorial".

Jonah's eyes didn't once leave his phone. "Probably because it's a waste of time. She's dead Mon, gone, vamoosh, never coming back". He now stressed, "those Avengers couldn't even be heroes and bring back what was lost. Just goes to show how 'strong' they were".  He grunted, "the only good thing that came outta it was more business for me and the boys".

"Because that is so much more important than mass genocide caused by some purple alien man". She bit back.

"Since your mom died you've become a real pain in the ass, you know that?" Jonah pointed out to his daughter.

"So let me leave and you won't have that problem anymore. I'm way past being old enough to actually have my own apartment, live on my own".

"And why would you want to do that when you can live off the fruits of my labour? You've got money, a nice house, a father who protects you..."