10

Montana had kept on eye on Steve for the duration of the journey back to his. His friend, Ronin - if that was even his real name - had promised to escort Mila home, just in case of anything happening.

Could she trust them? Could she trust him? That was the main question.

She wasn't even sure what or who to believe anymore. Then again everything that came out of her father's mouth was usually lies when it came to business, and brutal words when it involved her and the subject of her mother.

"You can stop looking like you wanna commit murder". Steve said. "I'm not here to lie to you. Not now at least. You need to know the truth of who and what I am, so I'm going to tell you - others apart from Clint haven't had the privilege".

"Is that supposed to make me feel any better?" She shrugged it off. "Because right now I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on".

Steve sat back as the car navigated the streets to drop them off back at his apartment. "Something bad..."

"That's been going on ever since my father realised that the snap was the best thing that could've happened to him- he realised men like him could make their money quick through black market trade and connections. Family doesn't matter, only the payment that hits the bank account". She said bitterly. "He used to be mean anyway, but since everything happened? I don't know him anymore. The only thing that keeps me going is spending nights in shady bars and draining his bank account out of spite".

"And soon someone will target you if it continues". Steve replied, "and like you said, he won't care - which is why I need to at least give you some protection while I deal with the problem that is your father".

Montana snorted. "You seem overly confident that you can 'deal' with him".

"It's not a cards on the table kinda thing, more like a knife to the back". He said as they pulled up outside of the apartment. Getting out, he extended his hand to her - which she reluctantly took - and helped her out.

"Why is this all cloak and dagger anyway? Can't you just tell me who you are and be done with it?"

He smiled as they walked inside. "I figured you'd need more persuading, so I thought I'd show you I'm not lying".

Following him into the apartment, she closed the door behind her and went to sit on the couch, Steve pouring her a glass of wine before heading to get what he needed. "What's to say that you're not about to kill me?" She called through to him.

"Easy, because you know that I would've done it by now". He replied as he came back out with some pictures to hand. Passing them to her, she studied them - her brow furrowing until she began to look at him and then back at the pictures in his hand.

"My name is Steve, I was honest with you about that much, but my name is Steve Rogers. I was born in 1918..."

"And you're Captain America..." she finished off, trying to make sense of it all. "I should've seen it earlier..."

He snorted. "I haven't been him for years - even before the snap, I broke away from the title, the government declared me as a war criminal. All because I wouldn't sign a little piece of paper". The words came out bitterly as he thought back to Ross and the manhunt that had been undertaken to bring him, and the others who hadn't signed, in. 

In the end, what was it worth? 

It had cost him his friends, half of the earth's population. Any living thing including animals, plants, insects. Sure the air and water was cleaner for it, but at that loss? And with people like Jonah Kenley who got to live while others who didn't deserve it were dusted? It wasn't right, and although he'd once been a righteous man? This mission he'd been undertaking for years now was anything but that. 

Montana sipped her wine slowly, taking in the news. It all made sense now. How he was so strong, take away the beard and longer hair than the look in the pictures then it was certainly him. "So...you're on a vendetta or something". She now stated as he sat down opposite. 

"People like your father? They're the ones who deserved to be dusted and you know it". 

She crossed one slender leg over the other and stared at him. "It's something I've wished would've happened to him ever since Mom was. To him? She's just another victim, a number on some memorial stone. He doesn't give a shit". 

"So I figured". Steve nodded in agreement at this and then turned serious. "I wanna protect you from him, I've been keeping tabs for a while now - but if you really want to see him gone? I'm gonna need your help". 

"Unfortunately I have no idea how to be one of those 'Avenger' people that you were part of". 

"I know, and it's a big ask. But I'd need you to listen in on conversations - see what kind of visitors he receives at the house. Anything, even if you think it small, it would help us out a lot. But if you don't want to do it? Then I'm not letting you back into that house. You can stay here and say you're at Mila's or whoever you'd be with". 

She drank her wine in silence and thought about the good and the bad. What it could mean if her father was to die at the hand of a man who should be her enemy. And what it also could mean if he found out about them...

Montana now had no doubt in her mind that Steve would be able to kill him, but he couldn't just barge in and do so. Not with the deals her father was involved in as well as criminal activity. It could lead him to other people just as bad. They too could be cut off. 

But there was also the threat of just what her father would do to her...

She'd be mad not to take the offer of protection, but at the same time she wanted to help. No matter how dangerous. 

By now, Steve had brought the rest of the bottle over, which she reached for to top up her glass. Taking one last gulp before placing it on the table. Eyes resting on the enemy who could be her saviour. 

"Ok...I'll do it".