9

Montana neither spoke nor have any eye contact to anyone over lunch. Her mind was whirring with possibilities as to how and why she had ended up with a man potentially as criminal as her father. She still had no idea whether it was a ploy on Jonah's part to see how much of a slut his daughter could be - or whether Steve had targeted her specifically.

All she knew was that her head was just as messed up as the situation.

"You're quiet". Jonah grunted at her.

She stabbed at her salad a little too menacingly. "Perhaps I'm just enjoying the conversation?"

"Bullshit, since when have you ever enjoyed me talking about my work - you're as much against it as the authorities". Jonah snorted and glanced to Steve. "I've always wondered whether it would have been easier if she had been dusted along with her mother".

Steve looked as though he was keeping his cool on the outside, but that comment had just signed Jonah Kenley's death warrant.  How dare he? He knew that Montana's father was overprotective, but to wish that upon her? It showed he clearly didn't care for her welfare like he apparently did at all.

She was trapped here, and now it was up to him to try and get her out. But now things had gone tits up and she'd spent the entire meal glaring at him. He couldn't kill Kenley yet - not as soon as he had wanted to. Montana could be a useful if he was able to tell her everything. It could also be dangerous for them.

Steve knew that he needed to tread very carefully from here on out. A girl like Montana who had a father like Jonah was incredibly wrong for him. They were wrong for one another - but at the same time? They could also be so right.

She rose from her chair and out her napkin down. "If you'll excuse me, I have more important places to be".

"Spending my money". Jonah added and looked at his daughter. "Didn't I ever tell you it's rude to walk out when we have guests?"

Montana shrugged. "Considering you always tell me that your business is none of mine? I shouldn't think you'd care". Turning to Steve and Clint, she nodded. "Nomad, Ronin - it was a pleasure". There was a subtle bitterness to her tone that Steve picked up on, but instead simply chose to continue his cool manner - no matter how much he wanted to strangle Jonah right now.

"Montana - it was a pleasure".

"Yes". She stared at him. "I'm sure it was".

**

"So you're telling me you slept with one of your dads associates?" Mila stared at her in shock as the pair drank some wonderfully illegal champagne in The Seven Aces that night.

She needed to get out, get away and just drink to forget. Still the sense of betrayal didn't leave her though.

"Yes" Montana admitted bitterly and drank more so her words could be swallowed down with ease. "The bastard lied to me".

"He was a hot bastard though, you have to admit that". Mila shrugged with a pitiful smile. "I'm sorry Mon, I know how much you liked him".

Montana nodded at this, and drank the last of her glass before refilling it again. "Yeah, me too", taking out her phone and seeing that there was a missed call from Steve on there. Showing the screen to her friend, she rolled her eyes. "What's the betting I call him and he answers with "I can explain"?"

"Then you'd be wrong". The familiar voice sounded behind her and she turned, seeing Steve stood by the table. With a jerk of his head towards the bar at Mila, she quickly got up and left - him taking her place across the table. "Well, seems we both had the shock of our lives this afternoon".

"You didn't show it".

"Because I couldn't afford any fuck ups, not this far in. I didn't know you were Kenley's daughter, you've never once told me your last name".

Montana let out a small "ha" and looked at him. "I don't like to make it public acknowledgement".

"So to sort this out once and for all? You tell me what it is you believe is going on - because I can tell you now that you're wrong".

She took a deep breath, "I believe that you lied to me, knew exactly who I was because my father wants to keep me in check".

Steve smirked in satisfaction. "Wrong".

"So what's the truth then?" She glared. "Because I'm about to ruin that expensive suit of yours with my bottle of champagne".

He sat back and took a swig from the bottle, eyes on her. "Not here". He replied, "if you trust me? You'll come with me".

"And why the hell should I trust you after this?"

Steve looked at her seriously. "Because if you don't? Your father may end up killing you. You're already in danger living with a man like him enough as it is".

"You think I don't know that? He's insane, especially since the dusting. If I leave he'll only hunt me down and drag me back again".

"Which is why I need you to trust me. I can keep you safe, but if you don't let me? You know I'll be watching you anyway".

Montana mulled the thought over in her head, but finally made the decision to hear him out. If she didn't like it then she would leave and avoid him at all costs until the business he had with her father was over and done with. "Ok...where are we going?"

Steve stood up and extended a hand to her. "Back to my place. There's some things there that I need you to see - and hope that you won't judge me for the decisions that I've made".

She took his hand and stood up. "That would depend on what exactly it is that you have to show me".