ch 16

Naruto would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous. It was his first time being invited to a friend's house, and he wasn't sure about what he should do. He made sure to learn about etiquette.

He prepared gifts and dressed well but didn't know how to behave. Naruto took off his shoes by the door as they reached the main house and put them neatly aside.

"We are here, mother," Itachi said from the door.

Mikoto came wearing an apron and holding a wooden spoon in her hand. Naruto gave a deep bow." Pardon the intrusion. My name is Naruto Uzumaki. I am Itachi's friend."

"Oh my goodness, such a well-behaved child. It's so nice to meet you, Naruto-kun. You can call me Mikoto oba-chan, just like Shisui here." She said, pulling Naruto into a hug.

Naruto didn't expect that, so he went stiff for a moment since he didn't know what to do. He was blushing and so confused. Itachi decided to save him.

"Naruto brought these gifts," Itachi said.

Mikoto finally let go of Naruto and looked at the flowers and the box. "These are so beautiful. There was no need Naruto-kun." She said as she told Shisui to put the flowers in the vase in the kitchen.

"No. Please, they aren't anything special. I made some dangos in the boxes for dessert. I put a few boxes of my tea mixes as well. There are instructions about how to make them and their properties." Naruto said, blushing even more.

"That is so wonderful. So you are the friend whom Itachi always praises about their cooking." Mikoto said, taking the box from Itachi.

Itachi decided to save Naruto from more attention. "Is Sasuke in his room?" he asked.

"No, he went with your father. They should be back soon. How about you guys go to the other room, and I will bring you some drinks and snacks? Dinner should be ready soon," Mikoto said, going to the kitchen.

Itachi showed Naruto the way to the living room, and they sat down. Itachi was trying to stop his chuckle.

"Hey, it isn't funny. I just don't know how to act in front of your family." Naruto said.

Shisui came with a tray of snacks and drinks." Well, you have to admit how funny it is that you have no problem going on missions with ANBU, but the moment you meet my mother, you become a stuttering mess." Itachi chuckled.

"Yeah, do you remember the time when he decided to convince the council that they should provide children in the orphanage with more job opportunities? He wasn't budging on anything. He even managed to convince all the shinobi clan heads. It was inspiring." Shisui said, Picking a glass of juice and some snacks.

"Well, it would be even better if they agreed with my original plan. But I guess letting the children above 12 take some of the jobs classified as D-ranks is not that bad." Naruto said, Taking slow sips of his drinks.

"You really like helping with the orphanage, don't you," Itachi said, Trying to stop Shisui from eating all the snacks.

"Well, I guess so. I mean, I am an orphan, after all. I actually didn't think much of it before coming to the outside world. Everyone in the base is the same as me. So I never gave much thought to having a family."

"I think I used to be curious about what it meant to have a family or how it feels, but the matter of fact is that I can't do anything about it. I also realized that I have you guys and my other friends, and that is enough for me." Naruto said.

Suddenly he was pulled into a hug by both other boys. He let himself relax and enjoy their company. They finally let go. Naruto also remembered something.