ch42

The rest of the mission went well. They had a few injuries, but they were all alive and would make it. They went back to the outpost to rest. Shisui was a bit clingy with Naruto and hesitant to leave his side. Of course, Naruto knew it was because of the talk they had, but there wasn't much he could do.

Finally, it was midnight, and everyone was asleep. Naruto decided to use this chance and leave. He packed his things and got ready to go. He was about to exit when he saw Kakashi waiting for him.

"Where are you going?" Kakashi asked softly.

Naruto took a moment to gather his thoughts. "I'm not sure. I think I will go to the fire temple. They had a request for a seal master for a while now. I will see what I can do to help." Naruto finally said.

Kakashi walked toward Naruto and stopped right in front of him. "There are people waiting for you in the village. So don't take long, ok?" He said as he put his hand on Naruto's shoulder.

Naruto knew what he meant. Kurama told him that he had heard the conversation Naruto had with Shisui. Kakashi wasn't a person to deal with emotions directly, but he was trying to comfort Naruto. "Will you also be waiting for me?" Naruto asked shyly.

Kakashi was taken aback. "Of course." He said sincerely. Naruto did something unexpected. He wanted to do this for so long, but he didn't have an excuse to. He gently closed the distance between them and hugged Kakashi.

He could hardly reach Kakashi's legs. Kakashi was frozen for a moment, but then he brought his hand to Naruto's back and returned the hug. It was a short hug but reassuring for Naruto. Naruto waved Kakashi goodbye and went on his way. There was so much to do after all.

It took Naruto two months to finally get back to the village. He visited all outposts and wherever he was needed and did his duty as a seal master. He helped so many people and made some friends, but it was time to go back.

He has news that his father is back to his Hokage duties. He was a bit excited to see the changes already made to the village. He finally reached the gates and signed his paperwork to enter. He had to report directly to the Hokage and then ROOT, as was his protocol.

His mission was as a shinobi of leaf, not as a ROOT, so he had to give his mission report to Hokage. If it were a ROOT mission, he would only go to Danzo. He didn't have to wait long to get in. he kneeled before the Hokage as he handed his report.

Naruto could feel that his father didn't like to be referred to as the Hokage, but he understood that Naruto was a shinobi on duty. After the report was finished, he asked Naruto to stay for a second and signaled his ANBU to leave.

"I'm glad you are back, Naruto-kun." He said with a kind smile.

"Thank you, Hokage-sama," Naruto said.

"No. You don't have to address me like that when you are not doing your job as a shinobi. Either call me Otou-san or Minato. I won't force you to use to-san. Just use what you are comfortable with." He said nervously.

Naruto could definitely see the longing in his father to be called Otou-san, and he wasn't about to deny it. "Yes, Otou-san," Naruto said.

Minato beamed at being referred to as a father. "I want to invite you for dinner tonight. I got an apartment when you were gone and moved. It's near the tower. Here I will write you the address." Minato said as he handed Naruto a piece of paper.

Naruto wasn't given the option to deny, so he just thanked his father and went on his way. He had to report to Danzo as well, after all.

His briefing with Danzo was short and to the point. He was told that he should spend time with his father so he wouldn't interfere with his duties in ROOT. Naruto was happy about the arrangement, but it just gave him more things to do.