chapter twenty-one: grief

HER DELICATE, BLOODY HANDS MOVE DOWN TO TOUCH HIS OWN, squeezing gently. "Jax?" Her voice echoes around him as his ears continue to ring, eyes staring blankly at the ground beneath him as images of his mother dying flash before his eyes. Jax turns his attention towards his brother, tears falling down both their faces as they make eye contact.

The next thing the boy noticed was his father on his knees, eyes wide as he stares at nothing in particular, Daryl trying his best to get him to gain full consciousness. "Rick? You with me?"

Rick says nothing, breathing heavily as his eyes begin to dart around him frantically. He grunts and gets up off the floor suddenly, Daryl backing up just as quick. Rick swipes up the axe off the floor, making his way to the side gate where Maggie and his sons came out of.

"Rick, no, don't!" Maggie says, reaching out to grab onto his arm, but she fails as he just walks passed her, determination on his face.

The woman sobs loudly, Glenn pulling her into him slowly.

Jax watches as his father leaves, his brown eyes flooded with tears that were threatening to fall. He then looks to his brother, seeing the boy already staring at him. "Carl..." He trails off, letting go of Ellie's hands before walking towards him.

He stops just in front of him. Carl instantly wraps his arms around his brother, sobbing loudly into his chest as Jax holds him just as tight.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel says, Maggie bringing her to her father.

"What are we gonna feed it? Got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl says, everyone chatting about where they would get the food.

Tears fall down Ellie's face as she watches them. The bite on her leg was pounding and she could feel the blood leaking out of the bandage, dripping down her leg and into her shoes. Her eyes felt heavy as she makes her way towards Glenn, who was making his way towards her. "You okay, El? You look pale."

Carol walks over to her, holding up the girl by her arm gently. "She was bit."

Ellie nods, swallowing to moisten her dry throat. "Yeah..." She blinks slow, exhaling in and out as she leans against Carol's shoulder.

Glenn exhales sharply, looking to the side. He shakes his head before gently tapping her arm, motioning her to follow him. "C'mon." She does, the three making their way towards the cell block.

Jax watches as Ellie walks off with Glenn and Carol, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"We need to find food for her, or else she'll die." Hershel points out, a sigh escaping his lips.

"Nope. Not losin' anyone else. I'm goin' for a run." Daryl says, making his way towards the gate.

"I'll go, too." Maggie offers, running towards the gate after Daryl. She stops midway to meet Jax, who was looking from outside the gates to inside the cell blocks, eyes swollen and red from crying. "Jax..." She says, placing her hand on his arm. He looks up at her with a sharp inhale, shrugging her hand off of him. Maggie's smile falters, but still lingers. "Tell Glenn I went with Daryl?"

Jax nods his head slowly, eyes looking to meet hers after they were on the floor. "Yeah, I will, Maggie."

She stares at him for a moment longer, eyes looking down at her feet. "I'm so sorry..."

Jax sniffs loudly, shrugging as if he was fine with his moms death. "Be safe, okay?"

Maggie nods and Jax quickly moves back towards the cell block where Ellie was before she could say anything more.

Carol, Glenn and Ellie approach inside within minutes, Carol setting down the sweaty girl on her bed, glancing at Glenn with worried eyes.

The girl shuts her eyes slowly, Carol setting her hand on her head. "She's breaking out a fever."