chapter fifteen. i won't die, remember?

HER GAZE WAS ON THE GROUND. Ellie's footsteps were silent as she stealthily walked along the floor. Currently, her, Jax and Glenn all decided to go on a run for food since they hardly had any and winter was coming soon, which meant that they also had to find some warmer clothes as the weather gets quite cold in Georgia.

Ellie gasped softly as something fell from the shelf. As she rounded the corner, she saw Jax with a toy in his hand, mid air as he tried his best to keep quiet.

'Glenn?' The girl mouthed, the oldest Grimes child just nodding his head over to where he was.

Ellie nodded and walked beside the shelves again, this time not so stealthily as she suddenly felt a cold hand on her shoulder.

Thinking quickly, she grabbed her knife from it's sheath on her hip. But as soon as she grabbed it, it fell right from her hands and onto the floor, making her groan loudly. She whimpers softly as she tried her hardest to pry the dead ones hands off from shoulder, the walker being weirdly strong.

"Ellie!" She heard Glenn's voice from beside her and she glanced at him from the corner or her eye, silently pleading for his help. He seemed to be struggling with a walker as well, pulling out his gun with shaky hands.

Jax hears Glenn's frantic voice from a distance, turning his head towards the noise. He was currently in the back, grabbing all the medicine he could find. As he takes a step out the small room, the face of a walker appears in his face and he gasps, pushing it away from him harshly, spotting another one ahead. "Fuck." He curses, pulling out his weapon.

Glenn shoots the walker in the head, gasping in pain as the loud bullet rattled his ears. He leans against the door for a moment, covering his ears in pain. Looking up with worried eyes, he held up his gun quickly, trying to aim at the rotters head and not hers, but he failed, lowering his gun. "I can't get it from here!"

Ellie used her hand to push it's head back, the moans loud in her ear. She suddenly felt it's teeth sink into her wrist and she screamed in agony, frantically pulling her arm away from it's head and holding it in her hands while panting heavily, eyes wide.

Jax rounds the corner, panting heavily from the two walkers he had just killed as he watches Ellie struggling with a walker, a chunk of skin missing from her wrist. He acts quickly, pulling her away from the walker and onto the floor. Glenn lunges forwards, swiping up her knife from off the floor and stabbing it in the head, the groans of hunger coming to a halt, the walker tumbling to the floor as he pulls it out, grimacing at the nasty squelching sound it made.

Glenn quickly leaned down to Ellie and Jax on the floor as she holds her wrist, whimpers of pain escaping her lips. "A-are you okay? I'm so sorry-" He pants out.

"It bit me." She cried out and Glenn placed his hand on hers, pulling it away to get a close look.

"Shit." Jax says as he watches the blood pour out. He places his hand over the wound to stop the bleeding, looking around for a cloth or anything he could to block it.

"I-I'll go find something." Glenn stammered out before quickly running off, leaving just the two teenagers.

"You'll be okay." Jax swallows nervously, wrapping his arm around her shoulders tightly. "You'll be fine." Whether he was saying to himself or her, she wasn't sure, but it made her feel better as her eyes got heavily.

Ellie chuckles humorlessly, wincing after. She uses her free hand to squeeze his, looking up into his brown eyes. "I won't die, remember?"

Jax swallowed and then nodded his head, avoiding eye contact with her for a second, an indication that he wasn't telling her something. It all went unnoticed by Ellie as she exhales heavily, her body feeling weak from how much blood she was losing.