chapter ten. glad you're okay, walsh

SHANE TAKES A COUPLE STEPS CLOSER TO THE BARN DOORS, squinting his eyes to get a closer look at the walkers roaming around in there. He thinks hard about his daughter and Carl and how unsafe it is for the both of them to stay here with dead ones surrounding them. He inhales deeply, taking a look at the group before shaking his head.

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this." Shane tells Rick, who also had a look of disgust on his face, as well as the rest of the group.

"No, I am not, but this is Hershel's land." Rick says, holding out his hands.

"Oh, God! This is our lives, man!" Shane argues, looking back at the house. "We either gotta go in there and make it right, or we just gotta go, man. Now, I will not have my daughter here with those things around her. You want them around Carl?! Or Jax?!"

"Lower your voice." Glenn says, Jax moving up beside him.

"We can't leave!" Rick protests, ignoring Glenn's request.

"Why not?"

"Because my daughters still out there." Carol breathes out shakily, looking Shane directly in the eyes as Rick looks to the ground at the mention of Sophia.

"Okay..." Shane sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I think it's time we... consider the other possibility."

"Shane!" Jax yells out, moving closer to the man.

"We're not leaving Sophia behind." Rick denies, getting between Shane and his son.

"El is still healing." Jax points out. "We can't leave even if we wanted to." He scoffs, shaking his head.

"We're getting close to finding this girl." Daryl calls out, taking a step closer to the man. "Just found her damn doll a few days ago."

Jax watches everything play out, his hand wrapped around his knife with his eyes directly on Shane. Or his actions, rather.

"You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did." Shane chuckles humorlessly. "You found a doll."

"Man, you don't even know what the hell you're talkin' about!" Daryl exclaims, getting in Shane's face.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said, here!" Shane rambles on. "You get a good lead, it's in the first 48 hours!"

"Shane, stop!"

"Let me tell you somethin' else, man, if she was alive out there and saw you comin'... all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction, man!"

Daryl lunges at him, making Rick act just as quick and push Shane back away from the man. Shane swung at Rick, the man tumbling back in shock as Lori jumps in, pushing Shane away from her husband. Rick quickly regained his balance and holds his hand out to Shane, who got into Lori's face, his hand wrapped around her arm tightly.

Jax jumps in quickly, grabbing Lori and lightly pushing her away from Shane and into Rick's arms. He then turns back at Shane and punches him in the jaw. Hard. So hard that Shane tumbled back a bit, holding his injured nose in his hand.

"Don't ever touch her again." Jax mumbles, holding his fists out in front of him as Shane lunges himself at Jax, swinging his fist towards the boy. It lands on his right cheek, Jax grunting loudly before holding his face in pain. Rick jumps in just in time and pulls Shane back by his arms. Shane grunts loudly in his arms, squirming around.

"Let me go, man!"

Rick gets close to his ear, holding his arms tighter. "You need to stop, Shane."

Shane exhales deeply a couple times, looking around at the groups scared expressions and Jax, with a knife tightly held in his hands.