prologue

THE GIRLS' LIPS TURNED UP INTO A SMILE AS SHE REALIZED THAT SHE IS GONNA WIN YET ANOTHER GAME TO THE OLDER GRIMES.

"I swear you cheat." Jax scoffed, leaning back in his chair and pushing his hair back.

"How do you cheat in crazy eights?" Ellie stiffled a laugh, going to shuffle the cards again. That was until Lori Grimes walked through the door, her eyes red and bloodshot, probably from crying.

"Any updates?" She asked the woman, and the mother just shook her head, walking to the kitchen and started to put the dishes away. The teenager noticed this, instantly coming to her side and helping the distraught mother.

"Ellie, you don't have-"

"But I'm going to, Lori." She smiled, making the woman nod and smile back, it not quite reaching her eyes.

The Grimes family was like a second family to Eleanor, so when it was announced that Rick got shot, the teenager felt as if she had lost one of her family members, or potentially lose one. Ever since she was little, she had always been with them, since her parents were hardly ever home. She felt as if they never really cared about her, and that led her to always hanging out with Jax and his friends. Ellie didn't mind hanging with them because they were older than her by two years and treated her like she was one of them.

The girl has had a crush on him for what felt like forever, but it had only been three years. Ever since that day in the cafeteria when she had gotten juice thrown at her and Jax rushed her to the bathroom, helping her clean up. She thought he felt the same, but she was wrong when she saw a girl in his room across from hers. Her heart broke and she swore she would never speak to him again, that was until he had apologized and brought her food, making her accept his apology and stay friends.

The house phone rang suddenly, pulling Ellie from her thoughts. Jax walked over to it, picking it up. "Grimes residence. May I ask who is calling?"

The girl laughed once he turned around and gave her a goofy smile. Jax's face turned serious as he turned away from her, nodding his head and humming.

He hung up the phone and turned around, meeting the worried eyes of Ellie. "That was Mr. Walsh. You have to go home, missy." He told her, pointing his finger in a mocking manner.

Lori walked in the room once she heard that, sad to see the girl leave so early. "Okay, well... we'll see you tomorrow?" She asked her, patting her shoulder as she gave her a small smile.

Ellie smiled at her and then gave the woman a hug to make her feel better about her husband being in the hospital. "Yeah, tomorrow."

Jax waved slightly as she left, not knowing what the world held for the two after today.