chapter six. CDC

ELEANOR WAS SHAKEN AWAKE BY HER FATHER. Shane gave her a sad smile and motioned his head behind him, her looking up to see the building of the CDC. The teenager gripped onto her father's hand, him helping her short body step out from the large RV.

She gripped her knife tightly, Jax being being her with his pistol that his father had let him keep. The place smelt of dead and Ellie was almost gagging, having to cover her nose as the group walked quietly towards the building.

As they reached the doors, they looked as if they haven't been touched in months and everyone put their heads down, starting to lose hope. Suddenly, walkers rounded the corner, everyone rushing to kill them.

"Rick, we gotta go!" Shane yelled, his daughter helping him.

"The camera moved." Rick muttered, moving towards it quickly.

"You imagined it. C'mon!" Shane yelled, grabbing his friend by the shoulders, now Jax and Ellie killing the geeks.

"Please. You have to help us. We have children. We barely have any food. Please!" Rick pleaded, Shane trying his best to pull him back, but he didn't stop looking at the 'camera' tears starting to leak from his eyes.

"The walkers aren't gonna kill themselves over here!" Jax yells out, wanting to just get out of here.

"You're killing us!" Rick screamed as he was being pulled back. "You're killing us!"

The doors had suddenly opened, revealing a bright light, everyone having hope once again. Rick led them inside, Ellie killing the last walker. Once she walked inside, she gawked at how big it was. She had never seen a place so huge. Maybe museum's or a school.

"Close those doors." An unfamiliar man's voice called out from across the way, everyone pointing their weapons towards him. "Anybody infected?"

No one answered as they all looked Eleanor sheepishly, not wanting to be the ones to tell him.

"I said," The man cocked his gun, everyone flinching. "Is anyone infected?" He asked more urgently this time.

Shane stepped up, Ellie behind him. "Uh- my daughter. She... got bit a couple of days ago. Not showin' any symptoms." He told him.

The man squinted his eyes and dropped his gun, everyone following his actions. "What? That's impossible."

"Same thing we thought." Rick spoke, looking to the teenager, then back at the man. "We were hoping you knew something about that."

"Bring her here." Shane was hesitant. He didn't know who this man was and what he would do with his daughter. The man seemed to sense his uneasiness and dropped his gun completely to the floor. "I won't hurt her. I just wanna see."

"It's okay, dad." Ellie gave her father a reassuring smile and walked towards the man slowly, holding out her bitten arm.

He grabbed it gently and scanned his eyes over it. "It looks like it's healing..." He said to himself. "I've never seen this before."

Ellie looked to him, seeing his eyes focused on her wound. He dropped it and hummed, looking back at the group. "You guys all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission." He told them as the girl just stood there, her bite now exposed.

"Yeah." Rick said. "We can do that."

"Follow me." The man said, the group following him to an elevator. He turned around and looked to Ellie. "You stay close. I'm gonna need you."

Shane was worried for his daughter. Scared of what he risked bringing her in here. He didn't want her to become a test subject.

"Rick Grimes." Rick nodded to him.

"Dr. Edwin Jenner." The man stated, darting his eyes around the group.

They all were packed in an elevator, Jax being very very close to Ellie. She had noticed his eyes on her and she looked to him, smirking slightly, Jax smirking back, looking away sheepishly. Shane noticed this and looked at the two with squinted eyes, confused by their actions.

Eleanor was the first one up for a blood test. She sat in the chair and pulled her sleeve up, Dr. Edwin Jenner sticking the needle in the spot right above her bite mark. She winced at the pinch, but got through it. "All done." He set it in a tray behind him as he placed a bandaid on her arm, her smiling slightly in response.

Person after person, Ellie was starting to feel a bit dizzy, her vision starting to become blurry. She leaned on Jax's shoulder him flinching in response. Once she realized what she was actually doing, she pulled away quickly, shaking her head at her stupid actions. "Sorry." She muttered, looking the ground.

"That's alright, El." He laughed. Jax hated to admit it, but he was starting to feel something for the younger girl. Whether it was a feeling of friendship or something else... he wasn't sure. He didn't want to have a crush on her, cause that would ruin their friendship, and they've been through too much for that to happen.

Andrea was the last one up and as she stood up from her spot, she almost fell over, Jacqui catching her.

"Are you alright?" Dr. Jenner asked, looking to the woman in concern.

"She hasn't eaten in days, none of us have." Jacqui told him, sighing deeply as she helped Andrea across the room.

"I have something that might help." The doctor smirked, everyone looking to him with raised eyebrows.