~Chapter 29~

After the barrier shattered, Sans waited anxiously. He could feel the magic leave him as the barrier crumbled entirely. Undyne cried out as he stumbled, falling to one knee with flurecent sweat beading his skull.

"What exactly was your plan here?!" She yelled, sprinting to support him. "Sans, those souls are the only reason you came back! I thought you knew something when you insisted on Asgore showing you the barrier but what in the hell is this?"

Sans hissed in pain, his pointed teethy manipulating into a thin smile. "Undyne... I know where she is... I could feel it... her leaving..." He huffed.

Undyne's expression slackened as she gasped. Mettaton looped an arm around the skeleton, pushing a snack into his hands. "Of course! That barrier is the most complex spell ever cast. If it took that many human souls to unwind it, no wonder you'd need to 'give' yourself into it to truly shatter it. In the moments you had it, you could sense its entirety couldn't you!"

Asgore growled. "How in the hell do you know so much about the barrier?"

Mettaton sighed dramatically. "Does it really matter? Sans, where is she? I'm able to contact Frisk and the others."

"She's..." Sans quieted as a shudder racked him. "She's angry. When she passed through the remains of the barrier it felt like pure animosity was ejecting from the Underground. It came from the Ruins."

Asgore flinched at the mention, a twinkle in his eyes. "She made it to the Ruins? It hasn't been that long... how did she... oh no... Toriel..."

Mettaton nodded, whipping out a familiar box and tapping away on it. Rei moved forward to steady Sans as Mettaton spoke on the phone. "What's the plan Sans..." Rei asked quietly. "You said she's angry, and came from the Ruins. We have shortcuts but there's no way we can get there that fast. You don't exactly look like you're gonna... Sans I don't know if you're going to survive."

He snarled quietly. Angrily he ripped open the packaged food he'd been handed and scarfed it down, replacing some of his HP. "I'll be fine. But you're right."

"She sure is..." Mettaton interjected. "Frisk and Toriel are in the Ruins now, but there isn't a way to get out that way safely. Dash said she'd be going as fast as possible to get them here but we need to move now. (Y/N) is a danger to herself and monsters alike in her current state."

"And humans!" Rei interjected. "She's on familiar soil now. She's angry, doesn't seem to have any memories, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chara is in her ear right now whispering."

Unlike Toriel's name, the mention of Chara seemed to visibly shake Asgore. He rocked back on his feet, looking at Rei with confusion and shock. "Chara? Where did you hear that name... you shouldn't know that name human..."

"Why? Do you know something about Chara? Something that could help?" Sans asked.

Asgore was quiet a second. He seemed lost as he thought, but shook his head. "More than likely, Toriel has already told you most everything. If you know her already...."

"Seriously? You can't tell us anything helpful about your own kid?" For what seemed like the first time, Undyne seemed genuinely disappointed with the king. Asgore glared at them bitterly, trying to mask his rage.

"Regardless of what my prior queen may tell you, that thing was not my child. My only child was taken from us because of Chara. That demon's obsession with revenge led them both to destruction. It's because of her my son... he..." Asgore's eyes didn't well with tears, but true remorse did infect his cruel face.

The group looked at him, a spread of reactions between them. Though there could be some pity for the bitter king, it didn't seem anyone could summon the will to comfort. Asgore stood quietly a moment. His brow furrowed before quietly he spoke again. "Chara, you said that she was in the Shifter's ear? What does that mean? Chara is supposed to have been dead for a very long time."