~Chapter 7~

P.o.V. Sans
I stepped away from the door, awestruck. Seeing Papyrus act so... gentle? No way. That girl's doing something to him. That's not my brother, is it? No, it couldn't be. Something had to be done about this.

I removed my cellphone from my jacket and sent a short text to Toriel, then selected to call a different number. Holding the phone to my skull, I waited patiently as it beeped. To keep the call secret, I moved away from the door and into the kitchen. The phone clicked and a new harsh voice hissed.

"What do you want bone bag?! It's too early for this shit." She snarled.

"You don't even know what the shit is yet." I countered.

"Fuck you Sans."

"That's not sanitary Undyne."

She growled. "Just spit it out Giggles."

I glanced back to check that no one was listening. Satisfied with seeing the neighboring room still vacant, I dropped my voice. "Four humans, and I think one's the soul shifter." I said with a hushed tone.

"Come on Sans! That's just an old bat's tale. Wouldn't Papyrus have notified me by now then?" Undyne retorted.

"That's the thing. All of a sudden he's all about protecting humans. I just watched him cradle the shifter while she was crying. That's not our Papyrus."

Undyne was silent a moment. "What about the other ones?" She asked shortly.

"One's proven to have abilities too, and the youngest of them suspected of it. The second youngest hasn't shown anything yet but I have a hunch she has abilities too."

Undyne grunted in response. "So I can kill the weakest one and hand the other ones to Alphys. I'm sure she's been needing new test subjects."

"And the soul-shifter?" I asked.

"I'll be the judge. I'm not convinced that the shifter is even real."

"Okay fine. When are you coming here?"

"When's convenient? I know I'm gonna hurt 'em bad but I want some form of a fight."

"The three youngest: that's the shifter, suspected and the weak one, are all in healthy enough conditions. I'll collect them at the entrance to Waterfall. The oldest one is injured though, something about straining her soul while saving the shifter."

"Bring the damaged one anyway. I'll be there around noon."

"Got it."

I hung up the phone and grinned.
_________________________________________________________________________________
The hairs on the back of your neck stood on end and you pushed away from Papyrus gently.

"Somethings wrong..." You muttered quietly. "Something bad's gonna happen."

Papyrus looked at you and chuckled. "Did I not just tell you I'd protect you?" He asked.

You looked at him and smiled weakly. "I know Papy, but that doesn't mean you can stop a bad thing from happening."

You stood abruptly and looked around. "Where's that brother of yours?" You asked.

Papyrus looked at you a moment, then yelled. "SANS, GET YOUR SORRY ASS DOWN HERE." You sent him an annoyed look. He quickly added a curt, "Please."

At the top of the stairs, the door swung open and Sans' backlit form appeared. You peered at him, the knot of tension in your gut tightening. Something whispered in your mind, but it was too quiet to make out.