Hopes and Dreams for the Future: 2.2

Midnight has nearly struck the town of Ebott. A middle-aged, ruby-eyed goat woman lies on the couch, with her eyes growing heavy. She glances up at a photograph covered in dust, depicting two small children in the front and purple robes in the background.

As she tilts her head and drifts off to sleep, the phone blares. Her eyes widen, and she snorts, running over to the phone in the kitchen. "You've reached the residence of Toriel, retired queen of the monsters," she answers. "However, it is very late and is an inappropriate time."

"Good evening, Tori," a familiar voice sounds from the other side.

Toriel stomps her foot on the ground, gritting her teeth. "ASGORE! I knew it was you! Call me one more time, and I will get a restraining..."

"Asriel's alive," the king sharply says.

Toriel gasps, icy shivers piercing her heart. "Wha..."

"And we need you to sign a peace treaty," Asgore interrupts.

      	Toriel takes a step backward, eyes twitching and lips trembling

Toriel takes a step backward, eyes twitching and lips trembling. Her face burns a bright, wicked shade of green. She holds her hand over her mouth and falls on her knees, arm trembling and chin quiverring as she death-grips the receiver. "No...wait...how..."

"Toriel, it's true," Asgore half-whispers. "Our boy is the one who freed the monsters, all of us. And, he's alive but in a different body. He's Flowey."

Toriel bashes her hand on the floor beneath her, crackling the floorboards. "LIAR! That foul creature attacked my child when he first came to the Underground! Flowey would never...he...our sweet little boy would never be that way," she sputters.

"Being soulless does things to a person, Toriel," Asgore solemnly says. "However, the barrier break would indicate that our son has repented for his mistakes and has improved, right? He may have done terrible things to monsterkind. But think: his heroism is just as great. He broke the barrier for us all."

Toriel shakes her head, rushing, roaring rivers down her cheeks. "How...how could he be alive? Even after..."

"Monsters are magic," Asgore reminds her. "So it's not too farfetched that..."

"Our son is DEAD!" Toriel screams.

Asgore smiles and breathes out. "You're wrong, Toriel. Our son is ALIVE."

Toriel grips onto her heart and fights to calm down. "I want to believe you...but you need to explain yourself."

Toriel stops to wipe her eyes clean of tears. Asgore sighs. "Remember that Frisk told me first. Then, I went to Dr. Alphys and consulted her at the end of the day. She confirmed it, too. She's the one who ran the experiments in the first place by injecting DETERMINATION into the flower. It turns out that Asriel's dust attached to that special flower in the first place, and well...you know the rest."