19 - Blue Butterly

Chloe looks at me with confusion, "What are you talking about we haven't been to the junkyard yet."

I stand up and look around frantically, "No, no, we were there a second ago, we left the graveyard and we were filming little clips of us-"

I quickly looked down at the camera in my hands and checked the storage drive, only the clip of the purple flowers and the most recent blue butterfly clip were on it.

"Y/N?" Chloe touched my shoulder gently, getting my attention. "Are you okay ?"

I rubbed my eyes, "Maybe I'm just tired"

"Let's get out of here then" Chloe said bringing her hand down to mine and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

Going to my bike we climbed on and I drove us to the junkyard, where only more deja vu ensued.

Lying in Chloe's lap on the same rusty hood as what felt like before, filming the forest and Chloe photobombing and stealing the camera. She stole the camera and turned it to face me, and instead of smiling and looking at her with a feeling of being lost.

Chloe lowered the camera, examining my face with concerned blue eyes. 

"deja vu again?" she asked.

I glanced out into the woods. "I can't help but feel like something weird is happening" 

"Hey Y/N, what's this clip?" Chloe asked and turned the camera towards me. 

As soon as I saw the beginning of the clip, I felt the tugging sensation and looked away and covered my eyes immediately. 

"Chloe don't show me that one" 

"Is it scary? I didn't think so.." she said but stopped the video nonetheless.

I uncovered my eyes and took the camera from Chloe's hands, looking intently at the blue butterfly clip icon. 

 Chloe chuckled nervously, "Y/N you're acting so fucking strange, you feeling okay?" 

"We've been here before" I said trying to find answers in the pixelated icon of the blue butterfly.

"I'm pretty sure we haven't, but you've been acting really weird since earlier in the graveyard." Chloe said looking at me with concern.

 "The exact same thing happened before, we were sitting up here and then you showed me the video I took earlier and when I watched it all of a sudden I was back filming it." 

I looked up and Chloe's expression was pale and her lips were drawn into a thin line. "You don't think this could be related to Max's Journal, do you?"

"The butterfly looked like the same kind as the one in max's photo" I said "That can't be a coincidence."

"There's only one way to find out" Chloe said and hopped off the hood, and I watched as she picked up empty beer bottles from around the yard and set them up in a row on a board.

"Really? shoot beer bottles?" I scoffed.

Chloe looked back at me, "have some faith, I have an idea" she said placing one last bottle on the board making a total of 6, and pulled a sharpie from her pocket and wrote numbers 1-6 on the board in front of each bottle. She walked a distance from the bottles and turned fully towards me, "Take a quick video of me right now, the same length of time as the butterfly clip, so that we have a 'checkpoint' of sorts"

Following as Chloe instructed I raised the camera, pressed play for a few minutes as Chloe waved at the camera and made some silly faces, satisfied that the duration of the clip I clicked stop and gave Chloe the OK.

"Okay, so I've chosen what order I want to shoot the bottles, if this is not the first time you're hearing this, interrupt me now." Chloe paused, and I laughed at the absurdity, and then she pulled out her gun and turned to face the bottles.

She fired  at 5, 4, 3, 6, 2 and 1. Turning back to me she smiled, happy that she got all of them in the first go, and I opened my camera gallery. 

Looking at the icon with Chloe standing in the junkyard, I clicked play and watched the clip.

Once again I felt the tugging sensation take hold of me, but this time my injured eye began to throb and just as I tried to look up and tell Chloe it was working, I found myself clicking the stop play button and Chloe standing there waiting for the OK.

I reached up and touched my eye, and shook my head a little, I felt okay. Probably wasn't anything serious.

"Y/N?" Chloe asked,

"5,4,3,6,2,1" I said as I looked up to her, "That's the order you are going to shoot the bottles down" 

Chloe ran a hand through her hair. "Holy shit"

"Holy shit indeed" I said, astounded at this newfound ability.

Chloe ran over and slammed her hands down on the rusty hood, "Do you know how much cool shit we could pull off now? We could mess with so many people and then go back to the last checkpoint to get out of it!"

I looked at her amused, but my voice was serious "Chloe we have to be careful, I don't know how this really works, I don't even know the limitations yet"

Pain in my injured eye struck again as if a reminder and I reached up to cover it with my hand, Chloe reached towards my face and lifted my chin for a better look. "Your eye is bleeding through the bandages, we should get those changed."

I nodded and Chloe took my hand and helped me off the hood, "If we're going back to your house, we need to check something in the garage first because I believe everything Max wrote in her journals and she's left us a rookie guide to superpowers and the keys to everything she knew before she was killed."

Chloe was silent until we got onto to my bike, "I feel like I shouldn't let you drive."

I shook my head "I'm fine, the pain is gone it just happened while I was rewinding, probably just a side effect of time travel."

Once I got onto the bike, I looked up at Chloe who was still standing there, seemingly lost in thought. "Chloe?" I asked.

"Y/N, do you think you could rewind from a video you never took?"