14 - Three Minutes

My head was fuzzy as I sat up.

At the time, It seemed perfectly sane that I was sitting on the edge of a skyscraper beside my Dad, swinging my legs like a toddler as I looked out over the sunset in Maine.

I looked down at myself, my brain lacking the ability to perform a proper reality check. I was wearing my usual attire for the city, some black slacks, a F/C button down and black tie. Classy, but casual.

I looked over at my Dad. He leaned casually back on his elbows, a glint in his E/C eyes as he looked over the city.

He wore his usual grey suit, the crisp white cuffs stretching out his sleeves. His greying hair combed back sharply, like the fin of a shark and his clean shaven face and content smile catching some of the golden light as it set behind other buildings.

Without looking at me he spoke in the same commanding tone he always did when I'd gotten into trouble.

"Well I didn't expect you to go back to Acadia, least of all confront your mother."

Some sense was knocked back into me like a breath of air, and rage and confusion started to drip back into my blood like saline from an IV.

But before I could speak, the wave of loneliness and long suppressed grief arced and crashed over me, sucking the air from my lungs.

"How could you just give up on me like that?" I gasped, my eyes wild as I searched his face for any kind of reaction.

His smile faded to a fine line. "I didn't give up on you. I gave up on me."

"You left me to fend for myself!" I spat,

He stared me down, eyes piercing me. Not with anger, not with guilt but something stronger, sharper, more painful than anything I'd ever encountered. Pride.

"You are so strong-." He started, "So confident. Intelligent and empathic." his voice broke

"And I love you so much, and I'm so proud of everything you've grown up to be." he said, his always hard expression faltering, to show the remaining pieces of a broken man.

I'd never seen my father cry.

"I'm sorry I was too selfish to understand what losing me, would do to you." He said, shakily sniffing. A rough hand whipping away his tears.

Before I could understand the wild emotions rampaging through my chest, my head and heart. I had my arms around my Dad, and felt his arms wrap around me. And it was in that moment that I realized how much I'd needed to hear those words. To feel the warmth and safety in his arms one last time. It shattered me and built me back up in an instant.

The scene faded like mist, the warmth remained, and my tear streaked face looked around in confusion as I stood to look at my new surroundings.

I was standing beneath a burning pine tree. In a park I remember going to when I was little in Acadia Bay.

"Beautiful isn't it?" A melodic voice asked from behind me.

I turned sharply, seeing a girl my height, silky caramel hair flowing over her shoulders and down her back in a cascade of liquid gold. A familiar ripped red flannel over her shoulders and a curious blue feather dangling from her ear.

She stood a few feet from me, arms crossed and staring me down in an intimidating manner.

Her eyes had a wild to them, but something I recognized well, too. Protectiveness.

I looked up at the fire, that was spreading quickly to other trees, a choking amount of smoke swirling into the dark sky.

I looked back at the girl.

"Rachel Amber?" I asked.

Rachel's eyes darted to the ground, then back up at me. The wild died down a bit, but a wariness remained as she nodded sharply.

"Yes. That is my name." She sighed. She looked up sharply. "I have nothing for you, but I have a message for you to carry for me. I never got the chance to apologize to Chloe for cheating on her." She said.

"Please" She said, the wariness gone, filled with pleading. "When you figure it out, tell her that I'm sorry and that I did love her. I just made the wrong decisions."

The scene was already fading faster than I could think about what she said. "Wait! Figure out what?" I yelled. But it was too late, the mist had erased the scene, leaving me with the smell of burning trees.

Suddenly I was standing in what appeared to be a small dorm. A doe stood before me. Then in a strange flicker, the doe was gone, and in its place, another girl, shorter than me this time with a short haircut, but deep eyes and a serious expression.

"Alright sit down we have an approximate of three minutes for me to explain how I saved the world without killing Chloe, and why it's important that you protect her with your life too." She blurted.

***Reminder I don't own the characters, places mentioned or the art. Please don't kill me.***

Leave a like or a comment Please! Reminder! 100 Likes and I do another story! (I'm fighting writers block with this like a badass right now, but I'm also super addicted to writing Overwatch fanfics so let me know in the comments who you'd wanna read about going on missions with and I'll start making a plot line!) 

I'll have a part two of this story for you guys on Christmas Morning (Eastern Time) 

Love you guys! Thanks for reading!

~ Ryan