9 - Good Night

Long after the sun had set, Chloe and I had still been sitting on the hood of a rusty truck, my head in her lap as we looked up through the tall evergreens at the stars.

We just sat in silence, and every few minutes I would glance up at Chloe to make sure she was alright. She seemed to drift off into her memories often, and I hoped I could be an anchor of sorts to keep her grounded and happy.

It seemed like a difficult, if not impossible task, but I'm stubborn as all hell, and some people are just worth the struggle.

I could feel myself becoming more and more sleepy, but between the quiet of the forest and Chloe's warmth, I hadn't noticed when I actually fell asleep until I woke to Chloe gently moving the (h/c) hair out of my face and behind my ears.

Chloe seemed a bit startled, and I seemed a bit flustered, so I sat up.

"I should probably head home. You want me to take you back to your place?" I asked Chloe.

Chloe sighed dramatically and looked up at the sky. "Your bike is too loud, it'll wake up my Step-douche."

"step-douche?" I raised an eyebrow and quirked my mouth slightly.

"Step-Father-Asshole" Chloe explained, still looking up to the sky.

"My house is kind of a shit-hole, but somehow my room is exactly the happy little place I left it when I was little, you're welcome to stay the night." I said.

I was expecting some kind of sarcastic comment, but Chloe just stood, brushed herself off and waited for me to take her to my house.

The short drive was uneventful, and except for the loud growl of my bike, it was silent. I was still somewhat tingly from Chloe's arms wrapped around my middle, and her resting her chin on my shoulder as she leaned on me. I wonder if I'd ever get over her electric touch. I sure as hell hope not.

When we pulled into my driveway, Chloe jumped off my bike and waited as I put the bike on it's kickstand.

We then headed for the door, and I paused as I spun towards Chloe, who kind of jumped at the sudden movement.

"Fair warning, the house smells like vomit and shit, so just try to get up the stairs as quietly as possible, my Mom is probably sleeping on the couch or in the room at the back." I whispered.

I opened the door as quietly as I could, lifting the door just slightly to stop the squeaking, which earned a questioning glance from Chloe, before she whispered "Man, you'd be great at theft."

"Who says I haven't ever stolen anything?" I whispered back as we quietly went upstairs. A kind of childish admiration look crossed Chloe's features, along with a genuine smile that shone in the dark.

We walked into my room, and I closed the door quietly. Chloe sat on my bed, looking around at the walls, seeing photos of me and some paintings I'd done so many years ago. Glow in the dark stars stuck to my ceiling, I hadn't noticed them the first night, since I'd slept on the floor, curled up in the fetal position. The thought of last night made my eyes sting as I stared at the spot, and the scrunched piece of paper that I couldn't throw away.

I wasn't sure how long I'd been staring at that scrunched ball of paper before I felt a hot tear fall down my cheek and Chloe's arms around me, but with her height while standing, she had to bend down awkwardly. She smelled like pine needles, smoke, beer and rust, but it seemed to sooth me a little.

"Hey, you're okay." Chloe said, as she steered me towards my bed, before she untucked the immaculate (f/c) blankets. She sat me down on the side of the uncovered bed and let me take my jacket and shoes off before sliding under the covers. Chloe pulled the covers over me, and just as my eyes closed kissed my forehead, and whispered "Good Night" just like my Dad used to do. My eyes opened, and tears started to flow again and Chloe spun around, panic written across her face, not knowing what to do.

Chloe came closer, and sat on the edge of the bed, and reached out and brushed away the tears. "Shh. It's okay. It's okay." She whispered, as my eyes began to close again.

Then next time I awoke was sometime in the night, there was a cool breeze from my window, and a shivering person beside me. When I looked over to see who it was I nearly had a heart attack until I remembered earlier in the evening, and my heart rate slowed. Chloe was turned towards me, her face pinched and her arms crossed over her chest as she shivered.

"Chloe." I whispered.

And her eyes opened, looking at me strangely.

"Get under the covers you idiot." I whispered.

Chloe sat up, got off the bed, then stripped away the covers exposing me to the cold air, making me hiss and reach for the blankets, just as Chloe slid in and pulled the covers up.

Chloe was still shivering for a good five minutes after getting under the covers, so I whispered to her. "Get closer, or your shivering is going to keep me up all night."

Chloe chuckled and pulled me by the waist into her. She was now moulded to my back, and her face tucked over my head from what seemed to be the perfect height difference. Chloe stopped shivering after that and I slipped off into a dark dreamless sleep.

-------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long break guys! And Thanks so much for 800+ views! I'm so happy that this story is getting read! 

I'll be back again soon with more Chloe x Reader! Leave a comment and a like if you enjoyed! Suggestions are always welcome!

**Reminder I don't own any of the art, characters or mentioned places in this story!**

~ Ryan