5 - Lighthouse

When I looked closer I could see that the grave actually said: 'Maxine Caulfield' but the 'ine' at the end of her name had been scratched out and beneath it in black marker was written 'Max, never Maxine.'

My eyes were drawn to the blue butterfly photograph and instinctively reached for it to take a closer look. The moment my fingers touched the paper I heard someone clear their throat.

"What are you doing here?" Chloe said looking down at me, the white rose gone and a lit cigarette in its place. She didn't say it harshly, more like she was speaking to a lost dog that had wandered into the wrong yard.

I pulled my hand away from the photograph, as I struggled for the right words, but ended up just closing my mouth and staying silent.

Chloe looked on at the gravestone, blowing smoke from her nose before putting out her cigarette on a crumbly gravestone beside her and sat down in front of Max's grave with me.

Her eyes were vacant as she sat there, almost as if she could see the person buried beneath the grave there.

We sat in silence there for a few long moments, before Chloe spoke again.

"Her name was Max, and she was my best friend and hero." Chloe said, reaching out and re-adjusted the photograph and white rose.

"She died last year saving my life. She literally took a bullet for me." Chloe said, her eyes still vacant and looking through the gravestone.

Suddenly tears started to spill over Chloe's cheeks. Without thinking I turned to face her, my knees tucked under me, and pulled her into me. Wrapping my arms around her as she sobbed.

"I- I thought I couldn't lose anyone else-" she sobbed, "that my life couldn't get any worse-". I tightened my arms around her as she started to shake.

After several long minutes, I started to feel Chloe relax, as slowly but surely she put herself back together. I knew a thousand "I'm sorry's" wouldn't make her feel any better. I'd been in that position. But from experience, just having someone there, a shoulder to cry on, was the best thing I could offer her.

I held Chloe in my arms a little longer, as we sat on the grass in front of Max's grave.

"Everyone I care about dies. Everyone. I don't know how much more I can take." She said quietly.

I sat up a little straighter and pushed Chloe back gently until she could see my face, only she was looking at the grass. I cupped my hand to her cheek, and used my thumb to wipe away some of her tears. Her blue eyes locked with my own. "You're strong enough to get through this. You may not feel it right now, but that's no reason to give up. Okay?"

Chloe pulled her face from my hand, and looked down again. "You have no idea what I've had to live through. you don't even know me. How are you supposed to know if I'm strong enough." Chloe muttered.

"You're right, I don't know what you've gone through, but I do know loss, and grief, and pain." I replied, lifting her chin so that she'd look at me. "But I would like to get to know you, and if you aren't strong enough on your own, I'm here for you too. I'm a friend now, okay Price?" I said.

For a moment I thought I saw a flicker of what I thought was recognition flash across her blue gaze, but it disappeared so fast, that I may have imagined it.

"C'mon, I think I know what'll cheer you up" I said as I stood, pulling Chloe up by the hand. First however, Chloe picked up the photograph of the blue butterfly and put it in her pocket. When I gave her a questioning look, she answered: "I don't want it getting damaged by the elements, I only put it out for her when I'm here."

Once Chloe had said goodbye to Max we headed out of the graveyard towards my bike. I handed Chloe my helmet, and climbed on, kicking the kickstand up, and starting the bike as I did so. Chloe was unusually quiet as she put the helmet on and climbed on behind me. I felt her arms encircle my waist which send little sparks of electricity through me, but I tried to ignore it as I slowly released the clutch and we started down the road.

We took the road all the way along the waterfront road, then we started to get deeper into the forest along the lone road towards the lighthouse. My bike couldn't go off road very well, so I parked it at the side at the beginning of the trail, and we started to walk in silence towards the big red and white beacon.

I was a little surprised when halfway to the lighthouse Chloe took my hand, but I didn't pull away. Instead I laced my fingers through hers as we continued our walk.

When we reached the lighthouse, I let go of Chloe's hand and walked towards the door of the building. I pulled my keyring from my pocket and grabbed the smallest silver key which fit perfectly in the door's lock. With a turn of my wrist, the lock clicked open and I opened the door for Chloe. Who stood there looking at me with a mixture of shock and admiration.

I held my hand out of Chloe at the door, as an invitation inside, and without hesitation she took it, letting me pull her inside. I fumbled for a light switch along the wall, but when I found it, flipped it, and it didn't turn on, I pulled my phone from my pocket and turned on its flashlight. The bright light lit up the rusted stairs in the darkness, and we climbed the spiral steps until we arrived at a metal trap door, which after dropping Chloe's hand, I shoved open.

Morning light blinded us momentarily as I climbed through the opening and stood, looking over the balcony, over the cliff and off into the endless horizon. It was still early enough in the morning that the sun wasn't too high in the sky, and the horizon was a warmish colour.

I felt Chloe's shoulders lean up against mine on the railing of the lighthouse as she stood next to me. I looked over at her, her arms were crossed as she leaned forward, looking off into the distance where I'd been looking only moments before.

I looked back at the ocean, and the slowly moving waves. "If you ever need someone to talk to, to share your pain, or just someone who'll listen and give you a hug when you need one and don't want to have to ask, I'm here alright?" I said, my gaze flickering to Chloe's but she was still looking at the horizon.

She nodded ever so slightly, and a few moments later said "Thanks. I appreciate it."

---------------------------------------------

Hope you liked this chapter! It took a lot of thought to get the right reactions for Chloe in this chapter. I figured she would be a very delicate person after losing Max, so she has less of the sarcastic personality in this story. 

Thanks again for reading!

I'll be back again soon with more Chloe x Reader! Leave a comment and a like if you enjoyed! Suggestions are always welcome!

**Reminder I don't own any of the art, characters or mentioned places in this story!**

~ Ryan