Chapter 33

It had been a few days since we got back and Mike was coming over for dinner. I had made his favorite lasagna and tiramisu. The doorbell rang and I opened it. Mike was in a grey T shirt and Jeans with a gift box in his hands for Emily. I let him in and hugged him tight. Its been 3 months but it felt like ages. I just parted when Emily came running and squealing and hugged mikes legs "Mikeyyyy" He carried her in his arms, "Hi Princess" and kissed her. She rubbed her cheeks poky He had a slight stubble and that poked her. I laughed. She saw the gift in his hand "Mine??" She raised her eyebrows and asked. "Yes" She ran to the table and started unwrapping it. We both took a seat on the couch. She finally opened it well more like tore the box apart and picked the cute stuffed dog. "Doggy" She hugged it against her chest "You like it?" She nodded still looking at the dog "I show dada." And she went running to show Ethan the toy.

After she had run in Mike looked at me "So..... How are you??" I was still staring at the place I last saw Emily before she vanished into the hall. "Im good." He sighed "Belle" his voice held a warning, that I should tell him the truth. I looked at him "What Im Happy, Emily is such a sweetheart we enjoy our time together, we cook, play, I love her, she is more than a daughter to me." "And Ethan??" I froze for a moment I looked away I didn't know what to say I opened and closed my mouth a couple of times. "I know Emily is a great kid and she loves you and you love her too but what about Ethan, does he even talk to you." "Yeah of course" "About anything other than Emily." I closed my eyes in frustration "Mike I know your worried but he needs time it's been only 3 months. He will warm up to me." He sighed "Belle to warm up to you he needs to let go of his past and he is not willing to do that. Just like Emily needs a father and mother you too need someone other than Emily." We heard tiny footsteps running back and looked towards Emily she had bought her lai and tiara to show Mike. I was relieved that she returned. "Wow Emily you look like a princess. You know I used to call your mumma Princess but I was wrong Princesses are not ugly they are beautiful like you." I pinched Mikes Arm "Ouch." He rubbed the area I pinched. Emily started laughing.

We continued with our banter behaving like five year old's and the two-year-old was enjoying herself, we probably looked like her cartoons have come to life.

Ethan came just before dinner, he was looking tired, there was a lot of work that was pending due to our vacation, but overall he looked much better, more relaxed than before. He joined us after freshening up.

At the table Mike and Ethan were talking about Mike's business. After dinner I brought dessert. Mike told Ethan he wants to talk to him privately. I knew what this was about. I tried to get Mikes attention. When he looked up at me I shook my head. He let out a sigh. He knew I didn't want him to talk to Ethan about me.

After dinner he did speak to Ethan in his office for a short while, after which he left.