Chapter 44

It's been six weeks, Ethan avoids me like the plague, he leaves early in the morning before I wake up and comes late at night after I'm asleep. He used to sleep in another room which I was thankful for. I didn't want to see him either. I wanted to shift to another room but for the sake of Emily I stayed.

Every odd weekend we would have a family outing; we both didn't want Emily to know about our fight. It was very awkward and I would just wait for the day to end.

Today was Erica's anniversary, It's another day I'm not looking forward to.

Ethan is driving and I'm in the passenger seat; Emily in sleeping in her car seat.

After 3 hours which felt like ages, we got out of the car, the three of us walked into the house and were greeted by Erica and a few others.

Ethans POV

I was sick of all the noise, I come out in the balcony with my whiskey to keep me company.

Erica comes in after some time "What's wrong?" I pretend I don't know. "Even a blind person will be able to see the tension between the two of you." She waited for me to answer but I wasn't giving her any. I took a sip of my drink. "Of course its Vanessa" "Don't go there" I warned her. "Listen I know you love her and she was your wife but the key word here is was. You have to accept the fact that she is not here and it's okay to fall in love again."

"I don't love Belle." "I never said belle." She said with a smug smile FUCK!!

She sighed "You know what take a break, think it through, but before it's too late. She is looking like a lifeless doll. I noticed she has removed her wedding ring too. Make it fast before it's too late.

She was leaving when she turned back "One more thing, falling is love is not a choice.. What do about it is."

Two more agonizing hours later we are on the way back home. We reach home and I carry Emily to her room Belle too had fallen asleep, I went back to wake her up. I look at her she looked very different from the girl I first met. She looked sad even in her sleep, her eyes had dark circles, her skin looked pale. I let out a breath Erica was right I broke her. I don't deserve her. I guess I need that break.

I decide to carry her to our room, I go to lift her up, but she wakes up, she is startled "What are you doing?" "I... you were sleeping, so I thought...", "you could have just woken me up." She said and stomped towards the house.