Chapter 38

HONK HONK I'm pulled out of my reverie by the cars behind me, I make my final turn and enter Ethan's company parking lot and park my car. I pick my phone and check the time and a picture of Emily, Ethan and me pops up, the one from Disneyland. I make my way to the receptionist and on seeing me she rushes out and takes me to Ethan, she was aware that I was the bosses wife and didn't want to upset me.

I knocked on Ethan's door, "Come in" his voice was muffled. I pushed the door and entered in I looked around, it had white walls and dark furniture and behind his desk is a floor to ceiling length window. He was nowhere to be seen "Ethan" I called out "In here" I looked in the direction of his voice he was getting ready in the washroom. I decided to look at the view through the window.

The sun had just about set so the street and building lights were beginning to light up. I was enjoying the view when, I saw the reflection of a frame on Ethan's desk, I was curious to see the picture in it. Does it have my picture in it? NO WAY it will be just Emily. I decided to turn and on seeing the pic, it's like my heart stopped for a minute.

It was a picture of Vanessa with Emily probably after she had just given birth.

I heard the noise of a door opening and quickly turned towards the window. Ethan's scent filled my nostrils, I turned he had worn dark blue suit with a light blue shirt and since he was not wearing a tie the top two buttons were left unbuttoned. His hair was combed back and he had a slight stubble.

"Belle" I was just caught staring I blinked "your clothes are over there", he pointed to the couch I quickly took the bag and entered the washroom and locked the door.

I was almost ready, just applying my eyeliner, I had chosen a simple lace dress, dark green in colour and just above my knees. I just closed my eyeliner, when I saw Ethan's wedding ring on the counter. I took it with me and went out to see Ethan sitting on his chair in front of his laptop. I stood near him, with the ring in my hand. He held up a finger to indicate he needed a minute, he was going through what seemed like a contract. I started rolling the ring in between my thumb and finger and looked out of the window. I felt something rough on the ring I looked at the ring confused and saw there was an inscription. I don't remember our rings being inscribed. I looked carefully ' V 15/8/2018 E' It was his wedding ring from when he married Vanessa. "Give" he outstretched his hand, He never wore the ring I gave him. I could feel my heart being crushed. "Belle" I shook my head and gave him the ring. He closed his laptop and got ready to leave. I blinked my eyes rapidly to stop the tears from forming and rolling down.

The car ride was silent, I was hurt, I had let Ethan enter into my life and heart, but it wasn't the case with him, I had entered his house, but that was it and it would stay that way. I didn't expect him to love me or anything I know this is a contract, but I expected him to respect me and our deal at least.

As I sat there thinking about the past few months, I realized one thing...

...I had fallen for Ethan Parker and I wanted more from this relationship.