Kit

My heart had dropped and my hands trembled when I saw Nua again though  I tried to remain calm. However, when he had indirectly threatened Lam, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I had to protect Lam and the best way was for him to stay the fuck away from me.

I sat down on my bed, my thoughts swirling back to when I had first met Nua when I was 15. Nua was one of my friend's friend. But he was such a sweet, good natured mousey boy. He seemed so genuine, smiling often and always so friendly. And that's what made me fall for him. We started dating when we were 16. It's when we started dating, that I found out his true colours.

Nua was very controlling, he didn't like me seeing other people and even if they were my friends, I had to meet them with him around. I didn't say anything as I knew he was just looking out for me. But I realized he essentially got angry if I went anywhere without him.

It was as if I couldn't live a life without him in it. It became so suffocating that slowly I started to find ways to break up with him. However, at 18, shit hit the fan when he literally held me prisoner in my own house for a weekend when my parents were away. He drugged me, hit me repeatedly whilst always repeating the same line; "I only do this because I love you. Remember that."

Was that love? If it was, I really didn't want it. That incident scarred me for life. Nua was arrested and jailed for 1.5 years. He came out and never tried to contact me again until now. Though he was far away from me, the damage done was irreparable. I was always so guarded after that and the only people who truly knew what happened to me were Beam and Pha.

No one has ever come close to letting my heart waver until I met Lam and that scared me greatly. What if he was another Nua? Time showed me he wasn't but just as I thought of letting Lam into my life, Nua walked right back in.

No. I can't. I wouldn't do this. And definitely not letting Lam be hurt. My phone rang the whole time and I realized it was Lam but I ignored it. I had to start putting a distance so that he falls out of Nua's radar. I went to shower and then changed into fresh clothes, wanting to get ready for bed. I was at the window, about to draw my curtains when I caught Nua standing right below a tree, looking straight at me, throwing me a cheeky smirk and waved his hands casually. I gasped softly, drew the curtains and moved back rapidly.

What the fuck. My heart was thudding from fear. I felt like I was transported back to being 18 all over again, feeling that fear in my heart creeping up, threatening to overtake me wholly. I clenched my hands, trying to breathe deeply.

I walked forward to just peep through and I saw him still there, smiling away that creepy mousey smile that people often mistook as being genuine and sweet.

I stepped back and turned away. Just as I managed to calm myself down, my phone rang again and I jumped. I looked at it and realised it was Beam. I answered and he put me on a conference call with Pha.

"You ok? Lam told us you met Nua. Why didn't you call us??"

"I'm fine..  I will be. I have to learn to deal with it myself.."

"Kit. Stop shutting us out. Don't do this again. And not especially to Lam. He's dying of worry. Tell him Kit. He be there for you. You know that."

"That's precisely why I'm not going yo tell him anything. What if Nua did anything to him? Hurting me is one. But hurting Lam too?! I don't think I can take it. I rather hurt Lam myself by staying away from him then telling him anything and letting him be hurt by Nua."

"Kit..."

"Please. If you guys care and love me, don't force my hand on this. Let me be. "

With that, I hung up the phone. I just looked at photos of Lam and myself for the rest of the night whilst crying myself to sleep.