This Night Shall Pass

Why? Why had it come to this?

Lan Wangji knelt in the dirt, brushing his fingers gently along his beloved Wei Ying's pale face.

If he could ignore the crimson stains on the cold, pale skin of the person lying abnormally still in his arms ... it would look as though he was sleeping peacefully.

A broken moan clawed its way out of Lan Wangji's throat. His Wei Ying was never this still, nor this silent.

Lan Wangji kept his eyes riveted on Wei Ying's face, waiting for them to open, for Wei Ying to look at him and beam with a smile and laughter.

Lan Zhan!
Husband!
Lan er gege!

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji called out to him. He called out his name again, and again.

Blood stained Lan Wangji's white robes and coated dry on his hands.

Wei Ying would never call his name again, would never look at him again.

Tears burned Lan Wangji's eyes as he tightened his grasp on Wei Ying, burying his face into the chilled skin of his lover's neck. His beloved last moments replayed in his mind on repeat.

They had been staying in Caiyi town after getting back from solving a case.

Neither Lan Wangji or Wei Wuxian had suspected anything was amiss, and when they did...they were not able to reverse it fast enough.

Someone with a grudge against Wei Ying had somehow placed a curse on Lan Wangji, controlling his body against his will. Lan Wangji had desperately tried to stop himself and tried to warn Wei Ying... he did not succeed.

Lan Wangji could only watch with absolute terror as he lifted his sword against his beloved, stabbing it through Wei Ying's chest.

Wei Ying's eyes had widened in pain and shock when he stumbled back when Lan Wangji had pulled out Bichen, grasping at his wound, and seeing the blood pour around his hand.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying had gasped, hurt, coughing up blood, before collapsing to the ground as he was the one being controlled and his puppet strings severed.

The moment Lan Wangji was free from the curse he crawled to Wei Ying's side, desperately calling his name, cradling his face and begging Wei Ying to look at him.

"No, no. Wei Ying, Wei Ying! Wei Ying, look at me! Please, Wei Ying! Wei Ying!" Lan Wangji choked out, shaking his beloved. "Wei Ying! Don't go, don't leave me. Wei Ying!"

Lan Wangji's please had not been heard, fading into the wind, Wei Ying's corpse already growing cold in his arms.

Lan Wangji wailed, crushing Wei Ying tightly in his embrace, his lover's body limp and unresponsive. He positioned Wei Ying's head so that it would not loll freely, but rested against his shoulder as he cupped the back of Wei Ying's hair, rocking back and forth as he called for his love to come back.

"Wei Ying!!"

Only silence met his cries.

-------

Lan Wangji woke up, frantic and crying out for Wei Ying, reaching for his beloved husband to find the bed beside him cold and empty. The fear and panic rose higher as he quickly got out of bed calling and searching for his husband.

"Wei Ying!"
"Wei Ying!'

He heard footsteps and opened the doors of the Jingshi and was greeted by silver pools staring into his golden ones.

"Lan Zhan, husband - what's wrong?" Wei Ying stared at him with wide worried eyes.

Lan Wangji trembled, choking on his words.

"Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, my love, my heart! I'm here. I'm right here. I'm okay, we're okay." Wei Ying hugged him tightly, Lan Wangji squeezed him in his embrace, burying his face into his hair and listening to Wei Ying soothe him and tell him everything was okay.

He was here.
He was here.
Alive.
Wei Ying was here.

He heard Wei Ying murmur, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Lan Wangji mutley shook his head.

"Alright, Lan Zhan. Come, my heart, let's go back to bed. I didn't mean to worry you, Lan Zhan, I couldn't sleep. This foolish husband of yours is sorry for scaring you so." Wei Ying spoke softly.

"Do not blame Wei Ying. Not Wei Ying's fault." He whispered shakily.

Wei Ying sighed, still hugging him back just as tightly. "Come, dear heart."

Wei Ying slowly pulled back and grabbed his hands with his own, and kissed each finger softly on both as he looked into Lan Wangji's eyes before keeping hold of one hand and pulling him back to the bed where they both climbed in.

Wei Wuxian laid down on his back, and pulled his husband down with him, directing Lan Wangji to lay his head on his heart and intertwining their legs as they snuggled close and they wrapped their arms around one another, one of Wei Ying's hands running soothingly along his scalp, down his hair and shoulders and back, as Lan Wangji laid listening to his heartbeat.

Lan Wangji closed his eyes, hearing the ba-thump ba-thump ba-thump of his husband's heart beating strongly in his ear, relaxing further into his husband's arms.

"I love you, Lan Zhan. I'm right here."

"Mn. And I, you. I love Wei Ying too."

Wei Ying chuckled softly. "This husband of yours knows." He felt Wei Ying move, lifting his chest up a little to bring his head forward, placing a gentle, loving kiss on Lan Wangji's forehead before settling back down and resuming his soothing motions, and letting Lan Wangji rest his head above his heart.

He listened as Wei Ying hummed their song, only for the two of them in the quiet, with the beating of Wei Ying's heart echoing in his ears, his own heart beating to match it, full of his love for Wei Ying until sleep slowly pulled them into a peaceful slumber in each other's arms until mornings light.

________

When they awoke, Wei Ying's glorious smile, always as radiant as the sun, beamed right at him, and his beloved leaned in and gently kissed his nose, nuzzling his face with a happy sigh.

If Lan Wangji smiled, no one would know it but his dear husband. Lan Wangji took his time as he conveyed how much he treasured Wei Ying.

I love you.

Lan Wangji cherished him deeply, thoroughly; savoring each caressing touch with constant unwavering devotion (as he always would), until Wei Ying was coming completely undone beneath him in the throes of passion.

Lan Wangji revered every inch of Wei Ying's body, knowing he already possessed Wei Ying's heart, the most precious gift of all.

I love you.

Lan Wangji would always make sure his husband knew that Lan Wangji's heart would forever belong to him.

Always.

____________

Hi, I hope you all have been well! I hope you like this One-shot fanfic I wrote from MDZS yesterday. I know it's taking me a while but I am still working on Seeking Solace chapter 14. Plz continue to bear with me 🙏😖💖😊 I truly appreciate it.

Let me know what you all thought 😊