The Fish and The Ghost

The small contingent of the Watterson family continued to progress forward through the streets of the Void; remaining vigilant of any portals that may be near their immediate vicinity.

Tristan continued to hold onto his father's paw, periodically looking up towards him to see if his father would smile for comfort and reassurance that everything was going to be alright. Each time, the small feline would look up to his father and each time his father would glance back with a warm and loving smile.

Gumball, who began to notice his son's paw become noticeably sweatier and perspire, soon motioned to his Father, Mother, and sister to wait for a moment.

"Hey guys!"

Gumball shouted ahead, as Nicole, Richard, and Anais turned back towards the two blue cats.

"I just need a moment to talk to Tristan, we shouldn't be too long!"

Nicole soon gave a nod and a thumbs up, as they reverted back to where the two blue felines were standing.

Gumball gestured the thumbs up back to his mother, and turned to face Tristan; who's expression was filled with contemplation and introspection. His tail had a sudden restlessness to it, as Gumball took note of his anxious demeanor and aura, and knelt down to meet his son face to face.

"Everything alright, kiddo?"

Gumball asked, as Tristan was still unresponsive and persistently flicked his tail in an oscillating motion. 

"Tristan?"

Upon asking once again, Tristan snapped back to his current surroundings and glanced quickly to his father.

"Wha- Oh! Sorry Dad, I....kind of got lost in my own thoughts once again..."

Gumball smiled as his son said this, and placed his paw on Tristan's shoulder.

"Hey, if there's anything you need to get off your chest just let me know okay? Despite the circumstances and predicament we are currently in, I'm always here if you need to confide with someone. We share a special bond, you and I buddy, you remind me so much of myself at that age not too long ago!"

Tristan's contemplative expression soon transitioned to a more jubilant and optimistic one.

"Really?!"

"Absolutely! I actually reminisce about those moments that your Uncle Darwin and I would have, formulating our plans and adventures back at home as kids....much like you and your cousin Vlad."

Gumball's ears soon drooped as he gained a more vivid image of the memory.

"Dad? Are you okay?"

Gumball's ears once again perked upwards, as he smiled warmly.

"Yeah, I'm alright kiddo....just thinking about Uncle Darwin, that's all..."

Before Gumball could utter another word, Tristan jumped into his father's arms for a tight embrace.

The father and son stayed like this for a few moments, much to the liking of Nicole, Richard, and Anais; who's hearts were melting from the sight.

The two blue cats soon pulled away, with Tristan smiling and audibly letting out a small purr, in which Gumball also returned with a deeper purr.

"Don't worry, we'll find Uncle Darwin, Aunt Carrie, and the rest of our family! With you by our side Dad, I know that we'll find them all!"

Tristan exclaimed, as Gumball's feelings of dread and sorrow soon dissipated with the warm smile of his son.

"I know we will too Tristan...especially with your optimism and good spirits keeping us in check!"

Gumball stated, as he regained his footing and stood back up.