Chapter Forty-Two Uncle

I woke to a strange sound... It woke me so violently that I had to jump from the toy room bed. For a second silence rained through the house, I listened as closely as I could as a muffled sound ran out not loud enough to determine what or where it was but enough to hear it still. I moved closer to the floorboards hearing this sound... undoubtedly a woman. I moved as slowly as I could out of the toy room the sound often stopping but each time I heard it, it got louder and louder. I walked down the stairwell in the quiet listening for the sound again. It was a woman. screaming. and I knew it wasn't Ava. I saw the door to the basement with a large padlock on it. I rushed as close to the door as I could hearing her screams as clear as day through the wooden door.

"Help me! Please! somebody Help me!" She cried in desperation 

I was about to speak when I heard footsteps down the stairs seeing newt run down excitedly 

"Morning uncle janson" he smiled train in hand 

"good morning newt. you seem happy day"

"Of course. you haven't forgotten have you"

"Forgotten?"

"what day it is today" 

"Uhh give me a reminder"

"It's my birthday!" 

"Ohh yes of course. sorry, newt. happy birthday"

"thank you, mummy says she's got me a very very special present this year"

"I'm sure she has well you'll have to wait till after breakfast for your presents I'm sure" I told him 

We had breakfast and some tea until his mother arrived from upstairs 

"There's my sweet little boy" she cooes coming to cuddle him tightly and giving him a tone of kisses "Ummm promise me no matter how big you get you'll always me mummy's little boy"

"Of course mummy" he smiled

"Awww look how big you are, my big grown-up boy. I struggle to even recall how small you were in my arms the day you were born" she cooed "Would you like your presents?"

"Yes please mummy!" he smiled

"Go get cosy then my darling" she smiled hurrying upstairs 

Newt got cosy on the floor and I sat on the kitchen stool, she returned with a large bag of wrapped presents for him all of which he tore into like an excited child I couldn't help but watch him... the boy I saw huddled behind his mother then I first arrived having since shot up, grew tall and thin all his bones exposed and his body pale and easy to bruise. for a second I grieved of the life I must have had before this place. even if I didn't know how old newt was... the amount of his life I had witnessed made sure I had seen him from a child to man, what kind of life had I now old abandoned. 

Once all done with his presents he gave his mother a sweet cuddle

"Thank you so much for my presents mummy"

"You're welcome my darling. But I have one more"

"One more!"

"Your very very special present." she smiled "Just a moment my baby" she headed to the basement door unlocked it and headed down shutting the door behind her. Newt sat bouncing his legs a little excitedly. I was... concerned. when the door opened again she held it behind her hiding whatever it was. 

"Where's my present mummy?" he smiled 

"Just a moment" she smiled "Now newt... you'll always be my little baby won't you?"

"Of course, I will"

"I know, but I can't deny how big my little baby is getting" she smiled "You're not a little baby boy anymore... and so, I figured this year I'd get you something special-" she explained but interrupted by something pushing into her back and a muffled scream which she instantly silenced and kicked back still hiding what it was "something for a big boy"

"What is it, mummy?" He smiled excitedly 

"ava?" I asked fear cracking my voice

"A very special gift for my growing boy" she smiled "so long as you promise to care of her."

"A PUPPY!" he yelped in excitement 

"No" 

"A kitten!"

"No newtie"

"a bunny!"

"No.. something much more special" she stepped into the room dragging behind her...

A girl. 

No older than sixteen. 

She was thin, bruised, bloody, gaged with a rag tight around her mouth her teeth holding it tight, her ankles tied together, her wrists handcuffed to a dog collar around her neck. 

"Ava... no." I gasped 

Ava held the girl by her blonde hair dragging her through to the living room rug where she threw her down leaving her a mess of tears and muffled screams 

"Mummy..." Newt asked clearly confused

"she's yours my darling"

"Mine?"

"For you my sweet boy. you're own little girly to play with" she smiled "Your own little wife. her name is Lilly. and she's all yours my darling"

"she is?"

"Of course. so long as you take care of her. love her. and be the sweetest boy ever to her. then she's all yours"

"new friend!" he smiled giving the girl a tight hug to which she only cried more 

"Ava, you can't be serious?" I asked her 

"Of course I am. about time my little boy has a fun toy"