35 - Do you get Déjà vu?

"J-jason?"

"Pixie! W-what are you doing awake?"

"Jason! You're hurt!"

The 6-year-old Marinette stared at the bleeding guy in worry. She stared at the red blood on the floor and Jason crouched down on the floor after being stabbed in his abdomen. Her eyes filled with tears after seeing her only family hurt so bad.

"I'm fine, Mari. See?" asked Jason, struggling to stand up. He supported himself with the wall and stood up, smiling reassuringly at the small girl.

"Jay..." said the bluenette, starting to cry. She was six, yes. But she had also been living on the streets for a year. Tears streamed down her face as Jason struggled to stand upright. "Pixie! W-why are you crying? I'm fine."

The girl ran towards him, grabbed his hand and made him sit on the poor excuse of a bed they had stolen. Blood started to stain the old rag which covered the mattress. Marinette grabbed a white box and waddled back to Jason.

She pulled the cap open and grabbed a needle, some thread, and an antiseptic. "Marinette? What are you doing?" asked Jason, worried. Marinette wiped her face, sniffling one more time before blanking out her face.

The bluenette threaded the needle and cleaned the wound with some water and antiseptic. "Mari?" Jason let out once more. "I'm saving you, Jason. My mum was a doctor." she said, trying not to make eye-contact with him.

"Now, stop moving."

She started stitching his wound, although with trembling hands. Jason clenched his fist in pain. His face contorted in confusion, but then he let out a shaky breath, his mouth in a strained smile.

"A-ah. That's right. You're a Walker." he said, smiling. Soon, the wound was stitched barely good enough to shut the wound tight. Of course, it wasn't perfect, but that was the best a 6-year-old would do.

A 6-year-old without any medical training.

"Stay still, Jase. I'm scared the stitches might rip." Marinette warned. "Thank you." said Jason, after the girl made him lie down. She jumped into the bed with him, keeping to the side next to the wall. "Welcome." she said, voice muffled through the old pillow.

"Pixie... You know I love you, right?"

"Yeah Jay, I know. You tell me every day."

When the sun rose the next day, Jason wasn't next to her.

.......

"Jase-"

I got up, gasping for breath.

I turned around, somehow hoping Jason was next to me. My breath slowed down as I realized he wasn't there and I was alone. I also realized that it was all a dream. No, a nightmare.

I was alone again.

The surrounding sheets were sweaty and wrinkled. Tears rushed to my face as I remembered the moment, but I wiped my face, frowning. I groaned, getting off the bed and walking to the washroom.

The same nightmare.

It had been five years, and yet I couldn't get over that. I thought I would be rid of this nightmare since I saw Jason, but damn. I thought we were all caught up, but I still don't know why he left.

Jason was dead.

Or he got kidnapped.

These were the only thoughts in my head the day he disappeared. The fact that he could have just abandoned me never struck as I searched long and hard for him. But once the man stood in front of me years later, unscathed, it was painfully obvious.