Chapter 25

Arthur Leywin POV

I entered the portal after Caera, to come out of the other side. Like whenever I used the teleportation devices, my stomach felt weird. I focused on my breathing for a second, before observing my surroundings.

We stood on top of a small hill, with a run down town nearby. The houses had looked very impressive, but time had taken its toll and they hadn't been taken care of. The facades were pale, if not missing entirely, while some had cracks. The few people living there seemed rather poor, if not even homeless.

The surrounding area wasn't much better, it was a wasteland. All in all this place reminded me of a city from my previous life that had to be abandoned because of radiation.

"I thought the city of the ascenders was in a better condition. These are just ruins." I let out. I guess the book I had read wasn't up to date.

"No, it is. This is the first floor, the city is on the second floor." Caera explained. "This had been the city before, but as we were able to stabilize the way to the second floor this zone was abandoned.

We just have to go to the portal, it's not far." she gestured down a road, leading away from the ghost town.

This road was in much better condition than the other roads, probably due to its importance. I had heard that there were ascenders, who never left this place and so a lot of things, like food, but also weapons and magical items, had to be transported in here every day.

If all of them had to go through this zone it was no wonder that this zone was taken care of.

After a few minutes we reached the portal, where a lone guard greeted us.

"Badge?"

I started to look into my ring, but Caera was faster. She showed him a badge and added: "He is with me."

The guard nodded and gestured to us to enter the portal.

This Teleportation wasn't much better than the first, but the view was. The whole horizon was filled with a city that was as busy as a metropolis of my life as Grey.

The buildings surrounding the portal were just spectacular, 5 stories high at least, with facades of gold, marble and glass. They towered over the plaza we stood on, while seemingly reaching the purple sky.

The sky itself didn't even have a sun, but emitted light from everywhere, just as described in the books I have read.

"Come on, or do you want to stand here all day?" Caera asked. I controlled myself again and followed her off the plaza.

She led me down a road, to what looked like a merchants district.

"You still need equipment, don't you?" she asked me. I nodded: "I still need everything except a dimensionring and food. Wouldn't be a complete experience otherwise, would it?"

She agreed. "At best we start with a weapon. What kind of weapon do you use?"

"A sword, but I don't have one. A light armor would be good, as well as something to mask my voice and face. You should also get one. I heard that one could meet other ascenders on one's ascension. We don't want to draw too much attention to us and our age is quite the anomaly."

That reminded me. I took out the artifact Seris gave me and activated it. I could feel how it concealed my horns. It's been a while since I had last used it, the only reason I used it up until now, was the occasional conversation with my parents.

"Good idea." Caera withdrew a necklace from her own ring and wore it. The same effect happened and now we were just two children on the streets.

"Quite a common gift from Seris, I see," I joked. Caera gave me a small smile.