•3•

Meanwhile upstairs.....

Lyla couldn't believe how gullible she was. Thinking Tyler, the next alpha to her pack, would actually want her as a mate. Karin and him probably had this planned for months.

Ripping her door open she saw Adam throwing clothes and her personal items on the bed. "I overheard and we are getting out of this hellhole once and for all."

Lyla just dropped to her knees with her hands gripping her shirt in front of her chest crying. Adam stopped and knelt in front of her. "Sis, it's all going to be okay. I have a safe place for us to hide until I figure everything out. I have had this plan in motion for quite awhile now." Wiping her face he stood and grabbed the suitcases and bags from the closet and threw everything from the bed in them. Looking around he asked, "What else do you want to bring?" With no reply he pulled Lyla up. "Snap out of it! We are leaving so get what you want now!"

Shaking her head she went to her desk packing up her laptop that she had to buy herself by earning money from various odd and end jobs. Actually anything she wanted she had to purchase herself so rifling through her room she found her most prized possessions and packed them in a big bag. Adam had already brought all the other stuff to his car. Putting his arm around her shoulders and squeezing he asked again, "Are you ready?" Shaking her head, not trusting her voice she followed him out to the hall and down the back staircase that led into the kitchen. Hearing yelling from the front of the house they quietly exited the rear of the house and got in Adams car and sped away.

~~~~~~~

With no reply from Lyla, Tyler was starting to panic. Taking the steps two at a time he searched room by room until he found hers. Not finding her in there he went to the bathroom then to the last room upstairs. Noticing Adams smell and his various trophies he knew it was Adams room but no sign of him or Lyla. Going back to Lylas room he looked in the closet and noticed a lot of space meaning missing clothes. Opening every drawer and cabinet they all were somewhat empty. Realizing his mate fled thinking he rejected her he let out a scream then stormed back downstairs.

"Where is Adam?" Tyler yelled.

"He's in his room," Karin said defeated.

"No he's not and neither is Lyla." Going to the window Tyler looked outside and saw Adams car was missing.

Dad! Lyla is missing!

Calm down son. We will form search parties and look for her. She can't be far.

I think she's with Adam. His car is missing and he's not here either.

Ok I will alert the border patrol, she will be back in your arms before nightfall.

I can't lose her dad.

I know son. Go home and wait with your mother. I will bring her home soon.

"If anything happens to Lyla I will personally hunt you all down and torture you until you scream for death."

Slamming the door Tyler shifted and ran to his house to await his father and hopefully his mate.

~~~~~~~~

After fifteen minutes Tyler linked his dad again.

Did you find her? Is she safe?

Sorry son, they had more of a head start than I originally anticipated. By the time I notified the patrol they had already passed the boundary and were headed into town. The guards had no reason to detain them at that time.

Nooo! She can't be gone.

We tracked them until they got on the highway then the trail went cold. They backtracked and circled around a couple of times mixing their scents with the humans. Adam is smart, sorry but as of now we have no leads.

Sinking to his knees Tyler cried. He was taught as the next alpha to never show fear or emotion but his reason to live was gone. Vanished into the human world thinking the worst of him and believing she was never loved and didn't deserve to be loved.

Tyler's mom, Ginger knelt in front of him rocking him as she did as a toddler, humming his favorite lullaby. When he couldn't cry anymore he stood and went to the window. As he saw his dad pulling up to the house he kicked the wall and went up to his room slamming the door.

~~~~~~~~~

Lyla was numb as they drove away from their house leaving her mate, that never wanted her, behind.

As they drove closer to the boundary the power that formed the border rippled, sensing a presence near. After driving through with no pain Lyla let out the breath she had been holding. They made it without being stopped but now where were they going. She had some money but not enough to live on for more than a few days. Nibbling on her bottom lip like she did when she was nervous or thinking through a problem she wondered what Adam had planned.

"Stop worrying. My friends are expecting us and said we could stay as long as we needed to." He patted Lylas hand that was fisted in her lap. Emotionally worn out she just nodded and laid her head against the cool glass of the window and closed her eyes.