•4•

-4-

Dozing in the car made Lyla lose track of time and temporarily her heartbreak. Not knowing where they were, she tried searching the area for any signs of their location.

"We are almost there. Don't worry we aren't being followed and no one knows any of my friends outside of the pack." Adam assured Lyla.

"How did you meet them?" Lyla wondered.

"They came into the store looking for music for a party. We got to talking and as I was checking them out they invited me to go. I declined but the next week they returned and asked if I wanted to go hang out. That time I accepted and we all became friends. That was last year and we still keep in touch and go out every once in awhile. A few months ago I contacted them and asked if they could find a place for two people to hideout for a little while and they offered up their place."

"Why would you be looking for a place? Were you intending to move out?" Lyla asked hurt he was planning on leaving her but couldn't blame him for wanting out of that house.

"I planned on both of us moving out as soon as you graduated. Why do you think I took all those extra shifts? I needed the overtime so I could afford to set us up in our own place far away from our supposed family."

"Why didn't you just leave after you graduated then? Why stay around a place that made you miserable and with people you dislike?" Lyla asked.

"You are the only reason I stayed and you couldn't legally leave until you turned eighteen. Since graduation was only two months away I waited so we could leave together. There was no way I was leaving you in their vindictive grasps alone. " Adam had slowed and was looking for a sign.

After turning down a small road he looked at Lyla and saw tears streaming down her cheeks. "What's wrong?" He asked as he pulled over and took her hand.

"I can't believe you stayed there just for me, enduring there hate and negative comments." Lyla wiped the tears and looked at her older brother.

"I would do again if I had to. I love you Lyla. We are family and we need to look out for one another." Kissing her knuckles he set her hand back in her lap and pulled back onto the road.

Driving in silence they continued for another ten minutes before turning into an apartment complex, finding a parking spot then pulling in. Adam sighed, "Are you ready to go in?"

Lyla looked up at the ominous building for a few seconds debating within herself if this was a good idea. Turning to look at Adam, "Are you sure about these friends? Do you really trust them?"

"Yes I do. Their pack has already agreed to furnish us with a place to stay and keep us hidden." Adam assured his sister.

"What? Another pack! Adam, I can't stay in another packs territory." Lyla ranted.

"Why not? Technically we are considered rogues at the present time and the Red Mist pack has agreed to house us for the time being. I think they want us to join them but we can discuss that later." Adam said opening his door and getting out.

Walking around and opening the door Adam reached for Lyla's hand but she kept it in her lap. Sticking his head inside he asked, "What's wrong? I promise we will be safe here and untraceable."

"Adam, I am Luna to the Gushing Springs pack I can't hide away in another pack's territory. It is dishonorable and will most likely cause a fight between the packs. Even though it seems all the things Tyler said were just words to humiliate me more I still bare his mark, The mark of an alpha." Lyla wisely stated.

"Damn, I forgot about the Luna part." Adam frowned causing wrinkles on his forehead. "Okay, plan b." Slamming the door and running around he had his door open and was just about to sit down when a tall dark haired male in a black truck pulled up next to us.

"Shit! Lyla don't talk I will handle this." Adam closed the door but rolled down the window. The male exited his truck and walked around stopping at Adams door. Peering in he smiled, "Hey there Adam. Just went to get dinner, the others are waiting upstairs for you two. Come on up."

"Hey Tommy, yeah we forgot to stop at the store to pick up a few things we need. We will be back in a few." Adam started his car and was about to put it in reverse when another male exited the passenger side of Tommy's truck.

Adam gulped rather loudly and glanced at Lyla as the newcomer joined Tommy. Lyla kept looking forward and was in a ball as to not draw any attention to herself.

"Hey there Adam. Glad you made it here safely." The newcomer said, power radiating from him.

Lyla noticed her brother started shaking a little when the second male spoke. Grabbing his hand for support she squeezed it.

"Yes, Alpha Grey we did as instructed and circled around a few times and blended into the human traffic." When Lyla heard the word alpha she nearly squeezed her brothers hand hard enough to break it. Wincing he yanked his hand away but the alpha saw the movement and peered in the car noticing Lyla.

"Aww, there's the girl that's had us scrambling to lend aid to a mistreated she wolf." Alpha Grey said trying to get a better look at her face.

Turning slightly as to not disrespect the alpha but still keeping her face in the shadow, "I'm sorry to have caused you so much trouble but there's been a misunderstanding and we aren't in need of any help. Again I'm sorry for any inconvenience to you and your pack. We will just be leaving." Lyla hoped her speech was enough to sway the alpha to let them leave.

Unfortunately that was not the case. "Nonsense, Adam has told me of your family's treatment of you and I am appalled your alpha would let something like that go on in his pack. From what I know of Alpha Drew, he is an honorable alpha."

"That's the thing, he just found out so there's really no need for us to stay here. We will be fine." Lyla tried persuading the alpha.

The one named Tommy had disappeared and Lyla hoped he went inside and that the alpha was soon to follow.

"I insist you stay the night at least, since you are here anyway." Alpha Grey said as Lyla's door opened and the dome light popped on. Jerking her head to see who opened her door showed just enough of her mark that Alpha Grey noticed. In a flash he was at her door pulling her hair back so he could see the mark.

"Your mated!" He half yelled/whispered. Looking closer he added, "To an alpha." Stepping back he took her hand and pulled her out. "Luna I insist we go inside so we can have a long chat."

Leaving no room for discussion as he put her hand on his folded arm and covered it with his other hand Lyla had no choice but to walk with him inside. Looking over her shoulder she mouthed to her brother, "Come on!"

Turning back around she walked on with a knot in the pit of her stomach and feeling a bit queasy but her head was held high and her face was expressionless. If she was going to be sent back she was going with pride.