Creve Coeur 1

"She holds her breath all day, and fucking gasps for air at night."
-Hobo Johnson

She never spoke of her home, and that irked Sirius beyond belief.

He craved to know her secrets, the things that kept her awake at night, the things that tore her apart.

He craved to know so that he could save her from whatever caused the depleting life that had become apparent on her paling skin.

The only thing that she had slipped was purely an accident.

When her freshly lit cigarette had fallen and scalded her delicate skin, she hadn't even flinched, mentioning something about it 'not being the first time'.

To onlookers it appeared to be a simple joke at her clumsiness, but to Sirius, it sparked an uneasy feeling in his stomach.

Each day was worse than the last, yet she would never cry nor break. In her mind, she did not deserve to be so selfish.

It had reached its worst when the infamous group of four had witnessed her blankly staring form emerge from the depths of Dumbledore's office.
"They're dead." Was all she had said.

It didn't take long for him to locate her, the Marauder's map made it a simple task.

Sirius would never forget that day. The day in which he watched the girl he loved fall into pieces too small to recover. She had cried so hard that her breaths became shallow and her voice could not push past her lips.

"When- w-will it -end." was all she just muster between shrieks that stabbed through Sirius' heart like a stake through a vampire.

Even as the smalls screams subsided into gentle whimpers, he was sure that he heard the words "I want to die" breathe out of her mouth.