2

1927 - Polly Gray's kitchen
Thursday 16th October. 12:23

Isabella was not a morning person, that was for sure. If she was woken early, you would be faced with a grumpy child who wore nothing but a frown on their face for what felt like forever. No matter what time she woke up she was grumpy. She used to be good at waking up and going to sleep at specific times, but that all changed when she discovered that parties, drugs, alcohol and sex were all within reach to her.

There she was awake from 6 in the morning. She felt like this day could not last any longer. It wouldn't be a lie to call it the worst day of her life. Married to a man she didn't know, who's voice she had never heard and who's smile she had never seen.

Polly looked after her over the night. She said it wasn't fair for her to be with Finn the night before, Isabella had only just found out about the marriage and she didn't like it lightly. Polly cared for Isabella as if she was her own, making her drinks and bringing her small delicacies whenever she felt like she should. 

It felt odd to Isabella. She had never had a woman figure like that in her life. She had maids of course but all of them wore the same still, dull faces which weren't so kind to look at. But Polly was welcoming. It gave Isabella comfort. More than she expected to get. 

Isabella was sat at the dining table with Polly's old wedding dress on. She had insisted she didn't wear it and she wore whatever of her own, but Polly did not let the girl go without a real dress. Polly saw herself in Isabella, a young girl who was scared and afraid of the true world, but extremely good at hiding it.

Ada was stood behind Isabella, taking out the plaits that she had left in over night. She couldn't help but marvel at the long curly locks which Isabella was lucky enough to inherit from her mother.

"Ada hurry up with her hair will you? We need to be at Charlie's yard by quarter two and at this rate we won't be there until tomorrow." Polly rushed around the house, trying to push everything she could into her purse. She stopped in her steps "Goodness Isabella, you look like a princess."

She smiled as she spoke.

"Thank you Polly." Isabella said, she sent a smile back and finished applying the lipstick which she had brought from Monaco.

Isabella rose from her seat and sighed, trying to fight away the tears which were just waiting to pour down at some point. She brushed her hands down the dress, pushing away any creases which had been made. They all walked out towards a car, Polly sat in the drivers seat and Isabella sat in the back. Ada next to Polly.

The drive was only 10 minutes, but it felt like forever. Not a word was said throughout the journey. Nobody knew what to say. Whether to compliment each other, or make small talk. Either way, they knew it would be awkward.

As they arrived, Isabella realised they were back where she was left. Next to the docks. 

They couldn't see anyone around, they only heard the small conversation of people around the corner. 

It didn't feel real, the car stopped and Isabella closed her eyes slightly. Still begging to wake up from the nightmare she felt she was in. 

They got out the car and Isabella held up her dress above her ankles, trying to not get the ends dirty from the wet gravel on the ground.

"Don't worry about the dress love, you will be the last to wear it, a little mud won't do any harm." Polly said. Isabella nodded and let go of the dress. "Before we go, you must be brave, there is nothing to worry about and nothing will go wrong."

"Everything has gone wrong." Isabella said. There was no emotion in her voice, only a simple tone which was un-peculiar too Polly.

"You are safe with us, everyone looks after each other here and no one is harmed. You must understand that there is nothing else to do. This marriage must go on and you need to start a life here in Birmingham. You are a good person Isabella, and I'm sure you will make the same impression on Finn as you have had on me." Polly said. She took the veil from Isabella's hands and placed it over the top of her head. "You and Finn will grow to love one another."