8

1927 - The Betting Shop
Tuesday 18th November, 8:25pm

Isabella and Finn were becoming closer each day. They spent most nights together, the ones they spent apart were mostly to do with business or Isabella helping Esme or Ada with the kids. 

She read to him each day, in the morning or before they slept. She had to restart many of the books she was half way through, to prevent Finn from asking hundreds of questions. But Isabella didn't mind, she loved that about Finn, the fact that he was curious.

Isabella walked through the betting shop, placing a basket full of food and drinks for the girls onto a table. Esme picked up the bottle of wine from the bottom and began to pour drinks for them.

"Linda, what on earth are you doing here?" Polly asked. Isabella had been in the betting shop a few times, she mostly checked over the mens work, correcting many of the mistakes which they had made.

"Arthur said I could come in today, help you all out a little." she smiled. She pulled her glasses to the top of her head and picked up a glass of wine taking a small sip.

"You know what we do here is illegal? Tommy might say yes, Arthur might say yes, but did God say yes?" Polly replied. Linda huffed at her comment and looked towards her.

"It isn't me that's doing the gambling, I'm just taking the bets." Linda said, as she took a seat and began to look through a book which Isabella nudged towards her.

Isabella took a seat next to Polly, opening up one of the books and groaning at the sight. Whoever had written in them clearly didn't pay attention in school.

The door swung open, making a loud bang as it closed behind Finn, who walked into the betting shop, heading towards Tommy's office.

"The rule is that door should remain locked until 9:00am." he said, he stopped in his tracks and looked at everyone, then carried on heading towards the office.

Each of the women exchanged a glance as he strolled through.

"Right. Boy. Boy, where are you going?" Polly asked, making Finn stop in his tracks and turn back to look at them.

"Well, Arthur's not coming in today. He's taking the day off. So.." he replied. He carried on looking between everyone, Isabella looked at Polly frowning, she had never known Finn to be given the job as running the shop.

"So what?" Lizzie asked, she sipped her wine and leaned back against the table.

"So, today, Tommy said that I'm in charge." he said, he looked at Isabella and noticed her frowning.

"This is the first time I'm hearing about this." she said, Linda tutted underneath her breath, whispering something which Isabella guessed was too God.

"Sorry, you're in charge?" Polly asked, Finn looked straight at her. Linda turned in her seat to look at Finn who looked down to the floor.

"Yeah. That's what he said." Isabella felt proud of Finn for a moment, he was standing up for himself, it made him look sort of like a fool but she couldn't help but admire it.

"Alright sweetheart." Polly scoffed as she stood from her seat and passed a phone to Linda, "Ladies. Let's give our boss a first day that he'll never forget."

Esme laughed as Finn went towards Tommy's office, shaking her head at him. 

"Boy's never fail to amaze me." she laughed. "Might as well make it fun and ask him a few questions." 

"Leave him be, our new boss might hear us." Linda chuckled as she reached to place the telephone in front of her.

Throughout the rest of the day, the women tried their hardest to question Finn. But each time he walked away from them and told them to get on with their work.

However once Isabella had decided to go to the toilet, once she returned all the women were giggling like they were children again. As well as Finn's cheeks being a rose red colour. Isabella went back to her seat, everyone's eyes were going between her and Finn.

"What are you looking at me for?" she asked. Finn stood up from his seat, shaking his head and practically running back to Tommy's office.

"We got answers." Esme squealed. Isabella's eyes widened and she leaned forwards.

"He says he's only ever been truly in love once, with you obviously because he was bright red when we asked him." Linda said, she closed the book in front of her and widened her eyes at Isabella.

"He wants three children, two boys and a girl. The girl being the youngest." Lizzie said straight after.

"Don't forget he mentioned that he doesn't want to push you and he's happy with the amount you want." Esme added, Isabella smiled at all the comments which the women were telling her. She liked that Finn turned each question into something about her.

"He's obsessed with you Bella, ultimately obsessed." Linda teased. Isabella thought about each thing he said. Trying to figure how he gave in so easily with them and not her.

"How did he tell you? He wouldn't say a thing when I was here." Isabella asked. Polly leaned to the side of her.

"We just kept asking and asking, we also promised we wouldn't tell a soul out the room and as far as we are concerned, you're in the room." Polly said.

"Polly you forgot to mention one last thing." Lizzie said, she bit the end of her nail nervously.

"He's never had sex before, he's a virgin at 18 years old in fucking Birmingham." she said. Isabella's mouth dropped open, then clasped her hand around it to keep it shut.

"There's no way." she gasped.

"Yes way, and I think you need to do something about it pretty quickly." Polly winked at her and pushed the last bottle of wine into Isabella's bag.

Isabella was shocked at the news. She could tell Finn wasn't very experienced in that way but she didn't believe he was a virgin. She felt like she had to wait on him to feel comfortable but she also knew he wouldn't make a move on her to start with.