Chapter 1

It was the day before her fifteenth birthday and Ivory was as excited as ever. However, much like the opposite, Alabaster was a nervous wreck. The year in which one would turn fifteen was allowed to be free to do whatever they wish since their classes had gone from year 0-10, ages 3 to 14, and were completed by the last day of the year, allowing those born on the first of the year to move on with the education that was necessary for the next part of their lives. 

The two were currently sitting on an empty field overlooking a bustling city that expanded until the skyscrapers turned to suburbs. Depending on what color you became, you would end up living on the outskirts or in the city. Mashed together yet somehow still separate, however, the children stayed distant from the outside world. The only color they'd ever seen was Pinks; every caretaker and teacher was one. Some had even seen Grays, when one would drop in and inspect students as well as run diagnostic tests on each child, making sure their passions and interests aligned with their personality so they could continue to pursue them. Every kid were completely oblivious to Colors and their actions, not having seen them in person. They was only instructed on their behavior and taught what they would become.

The two sat on the open field, the same one which they had chased each other around from when they were little, and the same one they sat on to spill secrets and watch the city in the distance. Alabaster and Ivory sighed, listening to the calm breeze blow by, as the long grass swayed to its rhythm. Feeling the blades of grass between her fingers, Ivory was humming to herself. An overwhelming wave of energy filled her with excitement as she thought about the life she would be living once she left this desolate building she's lived in all her life. She wanted to see the world and experience it to the best of her ability. Everything would change in just a matter of hours and it was exhilarating. So much of the things she had come to know would be different and new. She would finally be able to wear something different than the all-white uniforms they were required to wear, she could see new places, and she could be free to make her own decisions. How was that not exciting?

Alabaster on the other hand, couldn't help but think that he was going to lose all this tomorrow. He would be put into a faction, thrown in the city just to become one of a much larger group and what for? He wasn't willing to give up his freedom. His joy. He was happy here and he didn't want any of it to be taken away from him.

He turned to Ivory, watching the wind blow through the loose strands of hair from her braid that lay over her shoulder. Her eyes were fixated on the sky which carried gentle clouds throughout its vast horizon. Her eyes were white, similar to everyone else here, as well as her hair. They matched her white uniform and white boots, all of the sun's light seeming to reflect off of her. He turned his head back and looked down to see the same phenomenon. His knees pulled to his chest, the cloth of his pants were bright, causing him to squint when he looked down. Just as his friend, the returned his gaze to the sky and listened to the breeze for only a moment.

"Aren't you excited? We're getting out of this dump tomorrow! You should be happy!" She exclaimed, cutting off his thoughts.

He didn't reply at first, nervous of her response to his thoughts. He ended up making up his mind. He had to speak up for what he felt.

"What if I don't want to be happy?" He told her. "I don't want anything to change, I want my life to stay this way. Why do you want to move on? I'm perfectly happy with the way things are now!"

"But it's necessary to grow and move on–..."

"Yes, we all know you're a Green and everything is about growing and blah blah blah, I get it." He sighed. "I just... I don't want to let this go." He looks up at her sadly. "How do you find this so easy? To just say goodbye and hope for the best?"