Chapter Twenty

I chewed on my lip as we sat in the cab in silence. I didn't know what the hell to say, and he was clearly at a loss as well. The only thing I was sure of at the moment was that the rest of the alcohol had caught up to him twice as fast during the drive to his condo. When we filed out, I stood on the sidewalk, mindlessly glancing at the other people walking by without truly looking at them.

Caleb fumbled with the keys on his keyring, cussing when he dropped them down to the concrete.

"Here, let me." I bent down to pick them up, and the moment I did, Caleb's hand smoothed over my jean-clad ass.

"You really do have the sexiest ass I've ever seen."

"You just want to fuck it," I reminded him, looping my arm through his and tossing his suit jacket over my other.

"Not just it. The rest of you too. I only want to fuck you, Rach."

"And they say romance is dead. Thank you, Caleb, for reminding me that I'm only good for sex to you."

He frowned, moving his lips and tasting the words he'd just said. He started to shake his head. "No, no that isn't...That came out wrong."

"I'm sure it did. Except alcohol is the best truth serum humans have." I waved him towards the elevator, but he just continued to stand in the lobby. "Come on. Please? I wanna get home." And hope my friend isn't fucking the club dude in my bed.

Caleb finally stepped into the enclosed space, and the door shut, taking us up. Next thing I knew, I was pushed against the metal railing at the base of my spine and Caleb's lips were on mine in a harsh kiss of need. I lost myself for a moment, the heated desire in my core taking over my voice of reason, but then I reminded myself of the words he'd just said and I pushed him off.

"Rach, baby, don't. That isn't what I meant. I didn't mean I only want to fuck you. I meant it like I only want to fuck you. Just you. Fuck everyone else...Not literally though. I'm sorry," he slurred the word, his speech getting more incoherent as the minutes passed. "You know something? I...I think I might be a little drunk."

The innocent chagrin on his face pulled a bit of quiet laughter from my lips, and I bit them to stop myself. I wasn't good at being mad around the man. Never had been. It was why I'd always needed to walk away mid fight—if he didn't walk away before it even started.

When the elevator opened and I stepped off, I turned back only to watch him sway. Once, twice, and when he did a third time, his arm launched out towards the railing on the wall to keep himself from going down.

"Oh, come here."

I stepped forward and wrapped an arm around his waist. Almost immediately, he leaned into me, and I huffed against the weight I didn't expect him to use me to support.

"Jesus, Caleb," I groaned, but laughed when he turned a lopsided grin at me.

God, he really is drunk.

Stumbling together, we walked down the hallway to his door. As I worked to find the proper key to let us in, his long fingers stroked through my hair, running from my scalp to the ends. They skimmed down my back as he made his trails.

"Stop that," I warned half-heartedly. "You're gonna put me to sleep before I even get you into bed."

"Hmm," he hummed.

Caleb leaned into me, his nose feathering down my neck. Soft kisses followed the same path, and while my mind was telling me to stop him, to just get him inside so I could leave, my body was already answering his advances.

My head fell to the side to give him greater access. And he took it.

"God, your skin's so fucking soft. You feel so good."