CHAPTER 45

"Friendship without self-interest is one of the rare and beautiful things in life." 

- UNKNOWN

^^^

"Kiara," Dhruv called her out again as his hand reached to cup her face. Kiara's orbs soon found their way to his. Another drop followed down as their eyes met. "Shh," Dhruv moved forward, cupping her face with both of his hands. "Please don't cry..." he sounded worried and a slight smile played on Kiara's face. She had missed him so much!

Kiara jerked his hand away, staring at him with anger. "Stop acting as if you care," she pouted, taking a step back from him.

Dhruv stared at her for a minute longer, slowly lowering his head. "Why are you here?" He sounded distant as if he realized what he was doing. It triggered Kiara.

"Ugh!" She groaned, shaking her head. "Why do you test me so much?" She took a step forward. "You should be apologizing not acting distant, you idiot." Kiara punched his shoulder making a wide grin play on his lips. Those orbs sparkled in amusement.

"And why should I do that?" He inquired, making her narrow her eyes at him but that smile had managed to delight her heart.

"Forget it," Kiara groaned and was on the verge to turn away, Dhruv grabbed her wrist pulling her towards him.

"I was kidding. Aren't I allowed to pull your legs?" He raised a brow, cupping her cheek again. "How are you?" He sounded so concerned that for a second Kiara's heart melted. She felt as if she wanted to unbottle every grief she had experienced during those months.

"Fine..." she averted her gaze, "you?"

"Great!" He had a fake smile placed on his lip. Different from the grin a minute back.

"So?" He took a step back Kiara shrugged her shoulder.

"How are you doing?" He inquired attempting to break the awkward silence between them.

"Everything is going cool," again there was silence prevailing between them.

"If you are free why don't you come to my cabin? We can have a coffee together..." Dhruv suggested sounding uncertain. Kiara shook her head. Kiara wanted to meet him, and convince her heart that he was fine. She wanted to spend some time with him because She had missed his presence during those months yet she wanted to walk away from the awkwardness. She felt as if things between them were different and she couldn't face the truth. She wanted it to go back to normal. The way they were so comfortable with each other. At the moment, standing in front of his cabin. It felt as if they were strangers and it hurt her heart.

"No! I have to go," Kiara came up with an excuse. Dhruv seemed displeased yet he provided a slight smile with a small nod.

"Never mind..." he shrugged his shoulder and Kiara turned away with a heavy, burdened heart. Her heart was screaming that her action had hurt him. She had to force her logical brain to take control. Dhruv hadn't voiced a word against it. She couldn't imagine a thing. Her imaginary brain had provided her with enough trouble. She was always hopeful that one day Dhruv would reciprocate the feeling and she was so wrong. She couldn't allow her heart to again fool her.

She walked out of the building and got to the parking lot, yet her heart wasn't at peace. The conversation between them was flashing before her eyes. He was hurt! She had hurt him in the process. Damn! Why she couldn't just forget about it? Because she cared, even after all the mess, and all the pain she experienced, she still cared. She groaned as she switched off the scooter's engine. She was never expressive with her feelings but his cold exterior towards feelings had always forced her to communicate her feelings to him. Because though he never expressed it yet her heart could feel it.