Chapter 19

Bullet

I don't think I slept all night. Her smell next to me was something I'd been dreaming of since she was taken. When I look at her I just see our future but when I'm not touching her all I see is that motherfucker who is dead. A dead man walking through the night I think I drifted off 2 maybe 3 times and each and every time I dreamt how I take his life. I look back at Sophie and see her muscles flinch she falls into a nightmare and starts to thrash in my arms her left arm hits me in the face but it doesn't hurt me I just gently call her name and wait for her to wake in her own time trying not to make her nightmares worse. "Sophie, Soph wake up baby you here with me. Come on honey open their eyes." It takes a minute before she hears me and comes out of the dream. When she opens her eyes the look of fear, and her body so tense before I see her eyes relax and her body follow. I whisper in a soft tone she is safe I have her she is safe. And the tears just drift down her face. I'm going to let her have this moment of crying because when we get home she will start to build her strength again.

I tell her "going to get you a glass of water you need anything else?" She says "yes, Keata. I need Keata!" She is silent for a min then asks "Where is Josh?" She then starts to look around frightened like he's gone.

I nod saying, "Josh is here. Look at the crib baby, and Keata is with Stasia. I'll go get her. Just wait here and have a drink." I kiss her gently and get up, put some clothes on and go to get a drink first.

 I know Ace is up on duty. As I walk into the kitchen he asked: "How is she holding up?" I fill up the 2 glasses and drink one before I answer him. I refill it again and say, "She's hanging in there. Not feeling safe yet but she will get there." He nods and then gestures to all the cameras he still has set up. "They haven't found all the cameras yet. They found the one in Sophie's room but not out the front or the one in his office so till that happens we will get some great information."

I walk over to see what he's talking about when I see Jason arrive in his office. Swipes everything off the top and smashes his phone into the wall. I smirk because I'm liking the fact he has no control right now. I know I need to put more of a plan around how big his operation is and why Sophie is in the middle of it and why he needed her after all this time. Because if he wanted her I'm sure he would have found her earlier.  Something's not making sense and I don't think even Sophie knows the answer. 

I see Ace looking at something on the wall. Then back at the door. I ask, " Do we have volume ?" He replies, "No we don't. This isn't the first time he had thrown and tantrum in his office. He took out the sound last time." I nod, "Pity."  Walking towards to hallway he shouts, "If we get any good, I'll call you ." I head to Drew and Stasia's room, they are asleep. I go to the little bed Keata is in that Stasia brought from my room for her and pick her up she curls into me so quickly not even scared as I walk out with both glasses of water and my baby girl. taking Keata to her mother and bringing her back to our room. I know why Soph needs her she has this power to make you feel ok and Sophie needs that right now.

As I enter the room Sophie is sitting up waiting for us, her arms reaching out to me as soon as she sees Keata wanting her in her arms as soon as possible. I walk there and pass the water first then give little Keata to her mum. She docent even stir. She just folds into her mum's arms comfortably.

I do a few things before turning the light off, but turn the lamp on low so we can see sightly. As I get into bed I put my hand behind my head, while both the girls snuggle into my shoulder me it seems like a second before there asleep without a care in the world if only that was true

The next morning, I woke to Keata playing with my face. When I open my eyes from her gentle hands that are dancing around my chin and cheeks, she giggles at me like she is caught doing something sneaky. When I look at Sophie, she already has Josh in her hand and my heart feels full. I wonder if this will be forever this feeling inside my chest. The fullness only my family can bring. There was a knock at the door then Mira burst in running to grab the kids blurting out, "Breakfast" she grabs them and continues to tell them what they were having. Sophie giggles and looks at Mira saying, "Thank you." Mira just says, "Girl, it's so good to have you all home." With this huge smile on her face then shouts, "All of you, I've cooked for everyone. Come on get up, before it gets cold." She takes the kids with her and leaves us both in bed. I roll to face Sophie, "How are you feeling today?" The look on her face says a million words but I prompt for more she starts to put her arms around me and smiles "I never thought I'd be here again. So, I'm good. The pain hurts and I'm so thankful for Suki.  Sort of curious about how things are going with her and PC. So, let's get up."

That makes me smile. Now, yesterday. I wouldn't care at all about PC and his issues, but today is a new day. I help her up and get dressed make sure she is comfortable before we leave the room and then head down the hallway. As we enter the kitchen we see Keata signing with Mira and giggling lots with her food and Stasia has Josh in her lap feeding him some soft food not sure what? We sit together and chat for a bit listening to the girls eating up as Suki walks in. They all stop and look. She just holds her hand up and says, "Not till I've had coffee, not talking to anyone, till I've had coffee!" Stasia was the first to get up to make it. Seems lucky this place has its own machine because these girls are addicted to their coffee. As the coffees are given out and some bacon and eggs all around, I pull PC with Drew out the front to where Trigger, Nova, Ace and Knight are. One of the other guys is still down the street on watch, making sure no one could sneak up on us. My main concern is where is Jason now and next getting PC to look into why? Why is Sophie so important to him? There has to be something else why he wants her, not just power. Or being a fucken dick. PC agrees, he said,  "Cobra said he found some lead to follow up on and that Krip will be meeting up with us by the time we get to the Clubhouse."

 I'm hoping Jason is dead by then or I he will have some sort of plan waiting for us. I not letting Sophie or the kids, my kids go through anything anymore that shit is finished for them! I reply to P.C ok but we need a plan, can't wait to hear what Krip has to say."  

 Where standing outside, bringing up all the things that arn't making sense. Like the why's and the hows. Now I want to know who was the person who told Sophie I had to move on. I don't think it was just Jason. I think that leak at the club has a lot to do with it. Just as we finish our chatting and planning our next moves, this black car drives past. We are out the front, off to the side with bushes and trees as a cover so were not that noticeable to people when driving past. We could hear the car and the fact that it slowed down as it went past. I feel a vibration from my phone I pull it out of my pocket and see It's, "Who's down the road messaging through the number plate and saying the windows are too dark to see through?" I show P.C he says, "one of the prospects. Send it to me Bullet. I'll check it out while we talk." I look down at my phone and share the details with PC then see the car come back this time it stops in front of the house and the window opened just a little I try to get a better look but Nova has his phone out taking a picture of the car seeing if he can get a closer look of who's in the car. Then the car takes off in a rush with the window going up as they skid off. I look at the guys all of us thinking we've been found. Nova checks his photo but it's just a shadow, P.C thinks he can do something with it so he gets Nova to send it to him as well. As we go back inside through the back door this time, just in case there's more checking out the front.  we seem to  all agree not to tell the girls just yet.