Chapter 11

Sophie

I'm restless all night I can't seem to fall asleep. I'm still imagining bullet kissing me and everything that he said. But I have to stay true to myself and make sure that my daughter comes first.

I wish I could sleep. At some point in the middle of the night, maybe three in the morning I drift off to sleep.

I woke up in the morning still cuddled around Keata and her into me. I just bury my nose into her hair and smell in her goodness.
I'm still hoping she never saw Bullet but I know deep down inside she did.
I'll have to keep up with the same lie. That he's not here and he's not coming for us. In the meantime, I have to figure out a way for him to leave us alone before he does permanent damage and loses his son that he doesn't know he has. He's already not going to forgive me for not telling him about our son but if that happens, I'm sure he'll kill me or something.

As I'm thinking through all these scenarios my baby girl starts to wake up. She seems happy to just stay in my arms not wanting to get up yet. We are in no rush today there is no school. Jay wants us home today anyway, so I'm happy just laying in bed with my daughter.

After what feels like hours of us wasting time laying in bed. Jay barges into the room with a force and the door hits the wall.  It's loud enough to scare the shit out of me. Keata is startled as well when she feels me jump and then looks for why?.

Steadying myself and acting calmer than I am I look at Jay inquisitively.

"What is the problem, you scared the hell out of both of us?" he stands there glaring at us both before he answers. "Are you sure you have had no contact from that biker?"

I stow my face so there is no doubt for him to not believe me "NO!"
he then glares at me harder.
I straighten my back and move Keata off of me and put my arms in front of her as if it's some sort of protection for her.  Then with more strength than I have I lash back.
"NOO I haven't, and NO he is not around. Because of what you did with his son.  if he was around, I'd be dead and so would you. So with both of us still being alive this only means he is not around!"

I'm out of breath after this and freaking the hell out. but I hope he believes me and I hope I'm only partly right about who Bullet will kill.

To say I'm ready for what happens next is an understatement. Jay is in front of me and before I can react he has slapped my face so hard that I fall on Keata. I hold where he has hit me and doesn't allow myself to react.  It hurts like hell but I don't even cry. I know this is enough for Keata, just seeing this let alone seeing my reaction.  I sign to her I'm okay and turn my attention back to Jay

I stare at him waiting for him to say something. I'm not going to encourage him to assault me again. Especially because Keata will not deal with this.
It takes a while before he responds after he has hit me.  "You have been doing something.  So from now on Nikeata will stay home and so will you unless I'm with you. do you understand me ?"

I don't answer I just nod my head not even making eye contact. I see him go to move and I'm hit again. This time he splits my lip. I turn my eyes to him allowing him to see what he's done. I can feel Keata behind me crying and I use my left hand to reassure her I'm fine as I'm staring at Jay. I'm sure all he can see is dead in my eyes because that's all I feel. I respond this time, "You will never gain our daughter's trust if this is how you treat me!"  I see him twitch like he just realised the damage he has done to her. But that doesn't change anything, he just gives me one last look then leaves the room.  Just before he closes the door  he tells me,
"Keata will still go to class with me. This will be our time together whether she likes it or not." He leaves the room and slams the door shut.